Chapter XXXVIII

Kainene

         "Onome,do let's be going to ref na" I urged,taking to my feet and pulling the zip of my zebra wear up. "Since when did you like going to ref on Sundays Kainene?" She questioned dryly from where she lay on her bed.

          "You know how all these our classmates are. If we don't go early,we won't get food. It's even worse now that its extension" I told her,brushing the loose strands of my hair backwards. I'd taken my hair out of the ponytail after receiving a stern warning from Sister Geraldine,the newest clergy recruit in our school and the newest trouble as well. If there was any reason why this extension would not go well,it was her.

         "Please,I'll come abeg. Just go without me" she sniffed,burying her head in her pillow. I felt my brows dip as I looked to her from where I was,crouched over my bed and trying to lay the its sheet.
"Onome,are you okay?" I questioned,sliding my feet into my pair of slippers and leaving my corner to hers.

         "As per how?" She retorted,as if irked by my enquiry. Taken aback by her reply,my brows furrowed as my mind reeled back to the events of the week and day,trying to ensure I hadn't pissed her off in any way. We were only a week into extension,I was almost positive that we had had no fall out.

          She gave off another sniff,which brought my chain of thoughts to a hiatus. "Onome" I called again,taking a seat on her bed. Thinking about it,she'd always wore this glum look since our return from the JAMB break and the few times Oghale and I had tried to talk it out of her,believing it was probably her JAMB exam that had her that way,she'd brushed the topic away with one excuse or the other.

          "Are you sure you're okay?" I inquired again,from where I sat beside her feet. "I don't know...." the rest of her reply was muffled by her pillow and before I could push further,the door of my room came swinging open and banging against the wall,setting up vibrations through the room and causing me to flinch.

         "Awele,do you want to break our door?" I mused,watching the girl who now looked all over the place,her daywear draping loosely over her waist so the large polo shirt which clad her torso was on display so was the casserole she now held,which probably contained her lunch.

         "Ehen,Asika's daughter..." she called,walking into Onome's corner causing the fragrance of the fried rice in her plate and chicken which she now munched on fill the room. "Your boyfriend said I should call you,he's in front of hostel" she informed and just then,I caught the faint sound of a hiss which I figured had come from Onome.

          "Wetin dey do this one?" Awele questioned,giving Onome a light kick. As was the tradition of the extension period,all classes were moved to one hostel,which meant that all SS3 girls had a single hostel to themselves while the SS2 and JSS3 girls shared another. The same arrangement had been adapted in the boys hostel.

         SS3 students had insisted on not sharing a hostel with any other class,reason being that they'd snuck in a lot of gadgets like phones and laptops and the presence of our juniors made us susceptible to being caught.

        "Who be that winch? Awele,I will soon gintar that your left eye,try me" Onome grunted in reply. Recalling that Daryl was probably still waiting outside,I took to my feet and strolled out of the hostel,not before reminding Onome to come for lunch.

         "Did you bring it?" Daryl directed my way as we now headed for the refectory. So much rules had been thrown over the boarder already,seeing as the boys freely walked the slabways of the girls hostels and the girl's were practically granted free entry and exit into the boys' hostels.