Chapter X

Kainene

         "Oghale,where are you going?" I questioned her as she took to her feet from where she sat beside me. It was finally Sunday,not like I'd awaited today but I needed to get it over with already.

         Yesterday had almost all SS3 students worked up,with the sharing of buddies,passing of instructions from our matron on what to do today,it had us retiring to hostel at about some minutes past ten.

         I pitied Temi and Oghale the most,they'd been running from one corner of the school all day to get things ready for the new students. Even though I'd wished I wouldn't,I was a prefect and it was inevitable,me getting a buddy.

         Looking on the bright side,at least my friends were prefects and we'd all gotten buddies but that didnt change my indifference towards this activity. My buddy turned out to be a twin,and Oghale was the buddy to her twin sister so we decided to stick together as our buddies would arrive at the same time.

        The instruction was easy,we the buddies would wait at the auditorium for our junior buddies to get to school. And when the did,we would take them round the tables that had been staged at different parts of the hall,get them acquainted with their class-teachers while delivering a pre-made draft of their school fees,collect their books as well as personal effects which constitutes all the uniform as well as shoe wears they would be needing in the school,all of which had been paid for in their almost amounting to Five hundred thousand naira school fees.

       The instruction was easy,but I wasnt so sure about how easy carrying it out would be.

        "Nurse Dare said I should go and bring the new files from admin block" she explained to me. "Nawa o,will these people not allow you rest?" I questioned rhetorically.

         "Should I call Temi?" I directed at her this time. "No,leave him,he is very tired and today hasnt even started" she told me. "Okay then,I'll follow you" I told her,taking to my feet.

         "Thank you my dear" she breathed,massaging her wrists were the cuffs of her sleeves where tightly fastened as we walked out of the auditorium.

          "I really don't know how you and Temi do this thing really" I commented as we walked into the admin block and she led the way,taking us up the stairs. "At least I'm doing it with Temi,he's nice to work with and co-operative" she shrugged.

          "I'm glad you have a bright side to it" I told her,earning a chuckle from her as we reached the secretary's desk. Oghale and I greeted her before Oghale inquired about the files. She directed us to a corner of the room where the blue files were stacked. We picked them up and after thanking her,we were headed down the stairs again.

         "Thank God these things arent heavy" Oghale sighed as we walked. "Wait,this thing isnt heavy to you?" I questioned with a slight chuckle. "Not really" she shrugged,her voice touching a weird octave as it did.

         Oghale was a different type of girl to me,sometimes she reminded me of Temi. She was cool and easygoing,it was hard to not get along with her. Her skin was as clean and pigmented as pure chocolate,nothing attracted me more than what we'd liked to call 'cat eyes'. Her eyes had this sort of stretch towards the extreme ends of her head,which perfectly complimented her small thin lips and straight pointed nose. In summary,Oghale was a beauty.

        "See what carrying too many heavy things can cause" I complained. "Because these things are heavy" I told her,making her laugh with her light breezy voice,like that of a baby. Well,puberty had done some good work on her voice.