Chapter XII

Daryl

         I trudged slowly into my room,slumping down on my bed as I got to it. My head pounded and spinned at the same time,it seemed like I was getting more acquainted with this feeling lately.

       "Martins!" Yomi's shrill voice pierced my ears as he called out over what we'd liked to call 'dividers',the half-length wall demarcated the different rooms from each other.

         I groaned,turning my head the other way to be met by the striking rays of sun which hit my face through the net-locked window which my bunk was situated beside. Letting out another groan,I turned face away,back to the previous stance.

         "Wetin?!" I heard Martins reply from his room,Room C. "We get second leg of that match on Wednesday o,no forget" Yomi told him. "I don hear na..." Martins laughed,probably frustrated at how many times he'd been reminded about the match by Yomi.

         In case you were wondering,we'd lost the match on Saturday. It was A class boys,science class against the C class boys,art class and they'd beaten us with a 2-1 game score. We'd argued with the referee who'd overseen the game that the player who'd scored the second goal was offside but he still concluded that the goal was valid. For that reason,we'd requested a rematch on Wednesday.

        "West Wood boys,Am I hearing noise?!" Yomi's voice pierced my ears again,although he seemed farther this time so I believed he had walked to the corridors of the hostel. "I just need one scape goat this afternoon" he threatened,his voice becoming fainter as he did so I assumed yet again,that he was walking around the hostel,probably through different rooms and inspecting the siesta we were all meant to be observing.

         Taking a deep breath,I peeled myself off my bed and took off my uniform so I was left in my white singlet and a pair of boxers. As I did,I noticed Temi walk into the hostel.

         "See how this one is looking dead" I teased him as he imitated my previous action,unfastening the buttons of his uniform shirt and propping down on his bed. "Because you escaped abi,John Boko is just frustrating our life in that refectory" he sighed,sitting up in his place.

        "Today wasn't just my day for rubbish abeg" I told him,laying down on my bed again. "Tell me about it" he agreed,as he took off his shoes as well as his socks.

        "Come you!" Yomi's voice reverberated through the walls of my room again. "Is this your hostel? What are you doing here?" He queried the junior student who stood at the door of my room.

        "Sorry Sir,Mirabel sent me to give this letter to Daryl" the boy explained. "Mirabel who?" Yomi inquired. "Mirabel in SS2,Royal Hill hostel" the boy explained. "Okay,get out" he told the boy after snatching the piece of paper from him and the boy was quick to obey.

        "Daryl! Mail don dey full again o!" Yomi laughed as he rushed to me and Temi's corner,taking a seat on my bed. "Who sent?" Temi inquired with an amused expression.

       "Mirabel,abeg who be Mirabel?" Yomi questioned. "No be that girl for SS2B,that fair girl wey get mole one side of her face" Sele infiltrated the conversation.

        "Okay...that girl" Temi nodded,catching on with Sele's description. "Sele once you heard mail,your ear flew here abi" I told Sele.

       "Yes na,why not?" He laughed making me shake my head. "Abeg,you people can read it if you want,I don't care" I told them,pulling my pillow to myself and resting my head on it.

       "Daryl it's just a letter na" Temi told me,probably thinking I'd been pissed off. "I know,I actually don't want to read it. I dont even know the girl sef" I told him sincerely.