Chapter XXI

Daryl

I lowered myself into my seat on the refectorians table,still unable to believe everything that had just happened. My greatest fear had just come to pass and I'd been given no heads up. Cold continued to seep into me as the realisation sank in,my fingers trembled as I reminisced the scene which had just played before me. My heart broke each time I recalled the look in her red-rimmed orbs,simple plain disappointment,a strange string of hurt.

I'd never regretted anything this much,I'd never resented myself this much,I'd never felt so bleak. Just how? How did it happen? Why did I accept that stupid bet in the first place?

"Oh Lord" I muttered under my breath,burying my face in my palms and running my hands through my hair at intervals. How could I hurt her this way? If I was another person,I would have pummeled myself into pulp by now,rage directed towards myself building within me.

Now,even if I stood a chance before,I'd gone below step one,this was the definition of a perfect wreck. I'd proved to myself that I was an idiot. I'd never felt like I'd wronged anyone all the days of my life,but here I was,shattering like a distorted mosaic into its pieces because I'd hurt the girl I was crazy about by my stupid choice of actions.

"Guy,don't tell me she found out about the bet" Temi's voice met my ears as he took a seat opposite me. I hesitated,taking in large heaves of air as my chest began to ache,"I think so" I finally whispered in reply,face calming myself as my eyes began to sting,bits of liquid glazing its surfaces.

"Oh God" Temi uttered lowly,placing a hand over his temple. "What am I going to do Temi? Where am I going to start from? You should have seen the look in her eyes...you should...oh God! Why now? Just why?" I muttered,emotions gathering in my throat and making it feel heavy as my eyes continued to sting. Temi seemed rather speechless as he remained silent,staring into space hopelessly.

"No,I'm going to look for her" I declared with a sniff,taking to my feet and hurrying out of the refectory. "Daryl stop!" Temi called,blocking my path as he caught up to me on the empty slabways. "You can't go now" he told me.

"I have to. She thinks I'd been trying to play her since Temi,she'll never forgive me!" I exclaimed,trying to get past him but he held me back.

"What will you tell her Daryl?! What makes you think that she'll listen to you?!" Temi yelled back. "What do you want me to do Temi?...I...I have to try...I.. " I stuttered,shaking my head vigorously as the tears began to sting even more.

"Get your shit together Daryl!" He yelled at me,giving my arms a vigorous shake. "Get it together or you'll break down" Temi told me.

"Temi,you don't understand. I dont care if I breakdown" I breathed,shrugging off his hands and walking past him. "What about her Daryl?!" Temi yelled,blocking my way again.

"She's hurt Daryl and you're only going to make it worse. She'll only run mad with anger if you seek for her again. Just calm down and think things through! Dont act stupidly again!" He yelled,shoving my chest lightly and making me stumble back as hot tears began to wet my face.

"Urghhh!!!" I yelled atop my lungs,panting as I brought my palms over my face,turning away from Temi. Frustration creeped it's way through my veins causing my body to tremble.

"I'm such an idiot" I muttered lowly,lowering myself on the floor of the slabway. The connection between my brain and the rest of my body seemed to have sethered,as my actions put on the line,my ability to be called sane.

"Daryl get up" Temi called lowly,crouching down beside me as the rest of the school has slowly began to emerge from the school block meaning the tests were slowly coming to an end. "I'm such an idiot,Temi. I'm a big fool. Why did I do it? Why did I even answer Collins in the first place?" My voice screeched as I lamented,placing a hand over my angled knee as hot tears continued to roll down my face.