Chapter V

Daryl

       "Can we ever have a normal conversation?" I found myself blurting out the question before I could think about what I was asking.

        She finally averted her gaze my way,her brows furrowing as she stared,trying to comprehend what I'd asked her. "Normal conversation like how? What have we been doing since?" She retorted.

         "Why are you so defensive around me? It's like all you want to do is just attack me or do you just have something against me?" I pressed on as I didnt see the need to back down from what I'd already started.

         "I dont have anything against you" She shrugged,turning back to where her book lay on the table. Something in me didnt just want to let it go. I'd promised myself I'd give up the bet because of Temi but I couldnt comprehend the hurt I felt when I saw her laugh with Jawal. Why couldnt that be me?

          "Then why?" I asked her. "Why what again na? Daryl,I dont have anything against you,havent I already said it?" She fired at me.

         "At least you dont attack Jawal the way you always attack me" I pointed out. "Oh my God!" She sighed heavily. "Why does everyone around me keep doing this?" She questioned to herself.

       "Daryl I dont think I owe you any explanation but then,Jawal is my friend and I cant say the same for you" She told me blankly. I stared back at her for a while,trying to grasp every emotion from her facial features.

        "So why cant I be your friend?" I asked which earned a sly chuckle from her. "We both know you dont keep 'girl' friends" she told me. "And even if you did,why would it be me?" She questioned.

        "Do I need a reason to want to be someone's friend?" It was my turn to shrug. "Hm,okay o" she finally brushed the topic away.

         I spent the next five minutes rooted in my seat,simply staring at her. I couldnt understand myself,why did it feel like I was beginning to get desperate? I'd watched her from the sidelines for two days,her dissmissiveness towards me seemed to get to me more whenever I watched how friendly she was with other people.

          This was one of the few times that I was being really honest with myself,I just wanted her to at least talk to me the way she did with others. I just wanted her to at least recognise me,I'd never felt so small before a girl,so insufficient,so inadequate. Let alone a girl who was starting to stir up some sort of interest in me in such a short span of time.

         "Why aren't you going to ref?" I found myself questioning again. "I dont like spaghetti" she gave a plain answer,as always. "But you..." she started,looking to me and I could swear I almost forgot to breathe.

        "Shouldnt you be in ref? As per Head Refectorian.." she trailed off,crossing her legs as she did. "I dont have to go if I dont want to" I told her,at least she inquired something about me.

        "Oh...its true" she smirked,earning a slight eyebrow affirmation from me,telling her that her thoughts were correct.

       "I think it's over though" I informed her,looking backwards on hearing the faint sound of trodding feet against our slabways. "Oh.." she trailed off.

        "Arent you heading back?" I inquired,taking to my feet and heading to pick my bag from my seat,two seats behind hers. "I'm going to wait for Jawal" she replied which made me look to her.

       "You dont even know how long Jawal is going to be inside that office" I pointed out yet again,rather fiercely. "I know...I..." I was quick to cut her off.