Last Part

Dedicated to :

• Anumba Somtochukwu Nancy on her graduation and the rest of the 0'22 set of Presentation National High School.
•Okon Edima Mfon.
•0'19 set of Presentation National High School.
•My entire family.

LAST DAYS AT PACIFIC CREST HIGH SCHOOL.

Kainene

         "Do your face well jare,before you're doing like guguru and ekpa" My mother laughed as she placed the facial mask over my face. To be frank,I hated it. She had me putting it on for hours every evening since the day I got back from school in preparation for prom.

          The last thing I'd expected from my mother is for her to be this invested in my promenade. It was like a million light bulbs had lit in her head the minute I'd told her about it.

         "Mummy it's okay na. My face is already spotless as it is" I whined,pushing her off me just after she'd placed the mask over my face. Although she could be pain in the ass,it made me happy that she spent so much time with me nowadays.

         "See this girl oh. You don't want to look fine for that boy that's always calling you up and down abi" she teased. My eyes widened as I looked up at her,her lips etching up into a smirk as mischief glinted in her orbs.

         "Jesus,mummy!!" I shrieked,terror imprinting itself in my mind as I watched her laugh. "But I'm not lying naw. You'll naw always be blushing anyhow. What's that his name again sef?" She laughed,coming to take a seat beside me on the couch.

         "I don't know what you're talking about abeg" I told her,attempting to suppress the blush which had started to creep over my cheekbones. She went silent for a while and I furrowed my brows at her,noticing that she'd been staring at me with a weird look.

         "You've grown oh" she gave a sad smile. "I didn't know you would grow up this fast" she chuckled. "You didn't know I would grow up at all" I found myself jabbing her. I'd tried not to but the fact that she was warming up to me didn't wipe away all the hurt she'd given me.

         "That's true" she gave a low chuckle,picking up a candy bar from the side table. "Why the sudden change?" I found myself asking. My curiosity had suddenly started poking me and I refused to pull at their reigns.

         She gave another smile,which was followed by a shrug. "I just...."she started,taking a chunk of the candy into her mouth. "....realised I'm not getting any younger and you're really the only thing I have. .....The day I got a call from your school,I realised that you were really growing up and I was at the verge of not knowing you anymore" she gave a low explanation.

        "You never knew me. You never wanted to" I blurted at her,averting my gaze from her. "So,don't you want to get married anymore? It seemed that like that was the only thing on your mind for years" I questioned. I'd spent all these years not knowing my mum and I couldn't believe how much exchanging a few words with her had me actually forgiving her. I'd let it all go without her even having to ask.

         "Maybe I'll marry after you. At this rate,you'll be marrying before me" she laughed,picking up her phone from the side table. She was so good at changing the topic and I let her.

         "Mummy,leave me alone abeg. Rapu'm aka" I laughed. "Let me ensure that they will deliver your prom gown tomorrow oh. Ka ha hapu i kpokwa mu aha( So that they won't call my name). Abi its grey you people said you're wearing" she laughed on,settling more into the sofa.