Chapter IV

Kainene

          I stood,leaning against the railing and reading the book I was currently holding out in my hands. Yesterday seemed to be the first normal day I'd had since I stepped into these school grounds for my final year. I'd gotten no weird disturbance,I'd been in peace and it made me happy to see that today was going just the same.

          I didn't plan to but for some reason,I was stuck on this novel I'd been reading, Redeeming Love. As it was a wednesday afternoon,what we'd usually call sports afternoon,the boys were out on the field playing football. We girls on the other hand,had no flair for sports but a few of course,so they were huddled up in class singing songs we'd heard during the holiday. I guess it made it more interesting when everyone sang along.

          Just as I flipped the page I was currently reading,I noticed a male figure settle beside me. Without looking up to check who it was,I was quick to complain believing to know who it already was and I'd spoken too soon. "Daryl what do you..." I was cut mid-sentence when I finally looked up and realised I'd been wrong after all.

          "What?" Jawal questioned with an amused look on his face. "Nothing joorh,dont mind me" I sighed,massaging my temples as I closed the book in my hands.

         "Were you expecting it to be Daryl?" He teased,although it sounded strained. "No,why would I?" I questioned back with a shrug,earning a chuckle from him.

         "Because you guys are close naw" he replied. "Ehn?" I questioned in what I could call an annoyed confusion. "Close as per how?"

         "Is it not you guys we've been seeing together since we came back?" He questioned again. I gave a long hiss before turning to him. "You see,this is my problem with you people in this school" I fired at him.

         "What na? Isnt it true?" He laughed. "Believe what you want" I sneered,already feeling angered as I attempted to walk past him but he held me back.

         "Ah na,sorry. It was just a joke" he apologised. I glared at him before rolling my eyes and going back to where I'd been standing. "Please abeg,we're not close" I blurted angrily.

          Just then,the ball which they'd been making use of on the field rolled to the sidelines and I watched as Daryl jogged out to get it. He picked it up before looking up the building to where I stood at the class corridor with Jawal.

          As long as his gaze remained on us,I still couldnt pick out its meaning. He just kept looking between me and Jawal with a  strange look. "Then why is he looking at you like that?" Jawal questioned making me snap out of whatever trance I'd been in and avert my gaze to him.

          I noticed Daryl jog back to the field after his friends called him several times from my side view. "See him there,go and ask him" I shrugged,finally turning and walking away.

          "You're not playing football?" I questioned,noticing Jawal still in close range. "I'm not really a fan. I can watch it but abeg,I'd rather not play" he explained as we reached my class.

        Just as we stepped into the class,the bell went off signifying that sports time was over so we had to retire to our hostels and prepare for the evening prayers.

         "Chai,so Onome and Jade really didnt come out for this sports o" I laughed, recalling how they'd both decided to remain in the hostel while it was being locked for sports.

        "Did you bring your bag?" Jawal questioned from where he stood beside me. "Nope" I replied curtly.

         "Let's go then" He urged and I nodded,walking us out of the class and down the stairs. We walked in silence for a while before he spoke up.