Chapter XXXIV

Kainene

           About an uneventful hour passed by and all through the time,two thoughts lingered over mind; Daryl and Oghale. The former had my mind completely wrecked that it almost felt like I was some computer system that canned soda had been spilled over and the latter,had me thinking so much about myself.

           Why didn't I notice she was in tears? I wondered how many times my friends had needed help and I was too stuck in my books,how many times my friends had needed me to be there and I was nowhere to be found,it was suddenly beginning to bug me,I'd started feeling so horrible about it.

         My mind did nothing to ameliorate the situation,instead only giving me instances that would do more to paint me black. Thinking back,I never knew when Yomi and Jade started but Onome did,I never knew when Onome and Aimua happened,but Jade did and they were my supposed bestfriends. When was I really ever there for them? Then again,It'd been long since I saw Aimua around or heard about him from Onome,I also hadn't noticed that. I hoped I wasn't missing something again.

         Sighing,I picked my cup from the table and walked out of the class,feeling a sudden attack of slight dehydration. I held my textbook in hands,trying to understand the information from the prints as I headed towards the newly installed water dispensers downstairs. I hadn't gone far,when I noticed the shadow of a figure which now trailed behind me.

         I was quick to jerk back,noticing the figure come towards me. "I thought you wouldn't notice" Jawal chuckled as I placed a hand over my chest to steady my slightly disrupted breathing.

         "What was that for?" I questioned rather too fiercely as I continued down my path. "Sorry naw,no dey para for me" he apologised,causing me to resist rolling my eyes.

         Silence settled between us until we reached the dispenser,which was at the end of the block and Jawal took the cup from me,offering to get it filled. I sighed lowly,watching him as he did. I always found disgust creeping over my skin nowadays whenever I bumped into Jawal. For some reason,he annoyed me.

         "You like Daryl right?" He suddenly questioned whilst still filling the cup. I stiffened for a moment,before my brows came down in a furrow. "I don't understand" I fired at him.

         "Its...kind of becoming not so hard to notice" he told me,standing erect now so he was staring directly into my eyes. I stared back at him for a while,before giving off a scoff. Since it'd come to this,I might as well gain some courage.

          "And so?" I retorted,causing his eyes to widen a bit. "You're not denying it" he pointed out. "Jawal,what's really is your business with my life? Who I like and who I don't? If this is what you followed me to do,please abeg,leave me alone" I told him,beginning to feel irked at his guts.

          "I heard what you said in class and...gosh..." he started with a dry laugh "...I still can't believe...what does he have that I don't,Kainene?" He questioned,the pitch of his voice rising tadly. What was wrong with people? It was a freaking game!

           "See ehn,Jawal,if you like kill yourself over what I said in class,its not my business. You want to know what Daryl has that you don't,self dignity. At least,he doesn't go around conniving with people to expose their secrets just so he can get a girl. He accepts his faults and he is sincere. Please give me my cup let me go" I told him,snatching the cup from his hands and attempting to walk past him but as I'd expected,he held me back.

           I'd itched to give Jawal a slap since the day Jade had told me the full story. How the boys had later found out that the reason for Jawal and Collins's friendship was all because they had a common goal. Collins just needed to jab Daryl and Jawal needed him away from me,it was a win-win situation for them. While it hurt me that I'd given them their intended results,Daryl wasn't innocent either,as at that time though.