Chapter XIX

Kainene

         "Oh my gosh,my belly is still paining me" I breathed,one arm placed over the joining of my daywear,beneath which was my belly. "I swear" Daryl agreed from beside me as we retraced our steps slowly back to the class.

         "Who was that sef? It sounded like Brother John" I questioned,thinking to a few minutes back,the person we seemed to have escaped. "If it was Brother John you think we would be here?" Daryl questioned sarcastically.

         "Hmm,that guy would have chased us like this ehn" he chuckled,causing me to do the same. We were just about to turn into the class when I made out Jade's figure with the help of the corridors illumination,leaning on the rail at the very end of the corridor,her gaze darted to the floor like she was trying to take in what the person standing beside her but backing us was saying.

         "Jade!" I called almost too fiercely,earning her attention as well as that of Yomi,who turned to me and Daryl. I looked between both of them,quickly realising that I was currently disturbing a very important discussion.

         Swallowing my urge to take out my slight annoyance at her,I quickly brushed off my call. "Dont worry,later" I told her with a daring smile,wiggling my brows at her and earning a small chuckle from her. I noticed Yomi and Daryl exchange some signs I neither understood nor bothered to comprehend.

         "They're finally talking after wasting all this time" I murmured under my breath as we walked into the class. "You think it's easy? It's not that easy oh" Daryl pointed out as he walked over to his seat,grabbing his school bag.

         "What's so hard there?" I shrugged as I picked up my bag from my seat too,placing my textbook which I'd taken from Daryl earlier into my bag.

          "What's hard?" He repeated my question,giving off a small laugh as I hung the straps of my bag over my shoulder "Have you ever been serious with somebody before? Like a real guy?" He questioned,not bothering to mask his curiosity.

         "I dont know...not really. It doesn't look hard to me" I shrugged,giving it a bit of thought. "Let me tell Jade I'm going first" I stated before walking towards the door and peeping out of it.

          "J..." the rest of her name got stuck in her throat,noticing how miniscule the space between her and Yomi had become as he engulfed her small figure in his embrace,whispering something that even I couldn't hear as tears continued to stain her face and her lids fell shut even though she wasnt reciprocating the hug.

         "What happened? Let's go na" Daryl questioned,coming up behind me. Turning in a split second,I quickly placed my hands over his chest to stop him. I could be clueless,but I sure didnt want any other person watching my friend shed tears.

         Even though she'd never talked about it for over a week and she tried to come off as strong,I knew it'd hurt her. I watched how her expressions morphed into unexplainable forms whenever she wrote in that pocket diary she loved to keep,she was hurt but I didnt want anyone to see that. Everyone else had exited the class even before the prep was officially over and we seemed to be the only exception.

        "Nothing,let's go" I urged,taking his hand in mine and walking us out of the class. "Ahah,this one you're rushing me this evening" Daryl commented as we made our way down the corridors,heading for the staircase at the other side of the block.

         "Rushing you like how?" I hissed,flinging his arm away from mine. "Cant you just be nice?" He questioned playfully. "I'm a nice person on a normal day,its just you that can't see that" I pointed out.