Chapter XXXII

Daryl

         My head pounded,it was like someone was trying to pull down a building inside my head and it had my cranial cells doing a protest in return. "Urgh" I groaned for the nth time today,burying my head over the knuckles of my left hand as my right hand massaged my temple.

         "Daryl,pass your maths note let me submit for you" Temi instructed as he walked towards our desk. "Please just get it from my bag" I let out a muffled plea before sitting up in my place.

         "Chai,sorry yeah and you still can't take paracetamol" Temi sympathised as he went ahead to take my note out of my bag. "Not yet" I told him lowly. After expressing further sympathy,he went on to submit the notes. Hearing the bell for the break period go off,although it had resonated through my head still brought some relief to me. At least I would get to have a few minutes to shut my lids before the voice of another teacher intensified my headache.

         I was just about to lay my head back on the table again when I noticed Kainene walk into the class. I needn't be told the extent of my stupidity that in spite of my the pounding beneath my cranial box,I still found myself taking to my feet and walking to her table.

        "Hey" I greeted,taking a seat beside her as both her seat mates were currently absent,causing her to look to me,softly at first but then her gaze grew rigid the next minute.  "Hey" she replied lowly,turning back to the pack of cards in her hands.

        "What are you doing?" I pushed further,brushing off her reaction which I knew I well deserved. "Arranging the cards" she told me. "You want to play?" I inquired. "No,Onome said it helps her control her anger" she told me.

        "Kainene" I called subtly making her turn to me again. "Daryl" she called back,fiercer than I had. "Are you angry with me?" I questioned. She'd tried so hard,but I'd already caught how the stoic expression she fought to keep on diluted into something softer every now and then as she stared at me.

         "No,why would I be?" She shrugged,looking back to her cards. "Because of yesterday" I pointed out. "Is that something to be angry over?" She stated but before I could get another word out,she slammed the cards over the table,turning to me abruptly thereafter and earning a flinch from me.

         "I mean,its not even the fact that you drank that's annoying,why did you have go drink the one that would make you react?" Her sudden outburst had pangs hitting against my head again. "Jesus,Kainene small small" I groaned lowly,bringing my fingers to massage my temples once again.

         "Sorry,sorry" she was quick to apologise,reaching for my temples as well  as slight fright replaced every emotion on her features. I raised my gaze to her and she retrieved her hands,sighing afterwards. "I thought you said you weren't angry" I mused.

        "I'm not" she shrugged. The fact that she kept denying it caused me to chuckle,I'd never thought a day would come when I'd think her cute but it had. "I'm sorry" It became my turn to apologise.

        "Mxw" she let out a low hiss,turning to glare at me afterwards and I let out another chuckle. "Its not funny Daryl,I know it's hard but treating yourself this way isn't going to change anything" she breathed heavily.

         "I know..." I trailed off with a sigh. "You could have at least...abeg,dont even worry" she gave up. "No na,say what you want to say." I urged her. Although I'd hoped she wouldn't be,it felt nice knowing that she'd been concerned about me. Even though I'd heard it all from Yomi,Temi and Oghale,it still felt nice seeing it up front.

        "No,it's fine,you'll still do what you want so let's leave it" she told me. "I wont na,I'm sorry" I apologised,taking her hand in mine. "I've heard abeg,leave me alone" she told me whilst holding back a smile.