Aurora's Crypt

Here's a gift from your not so Reliable Markuss to all you amazing readers. Thanks for the patience and please enjoy these 6.8k words.

A fractured world formed before their eyes, with floating lights setting the scene and ashen statues with their bodiless voices recounting a tale forgotten by everyone.

Even the owner of these memories.

The world looked far more whole than any of the spectators were used to seeing. The unusual sight was clear, without any thorns littering the landscape. Then came the voice of a woman, calm and gentle.

Woman: I'm thrilled we can work together again. Thanks as always, Karen.

Karen: It's my pleasure. Oh, and go visit Louis later, okay? He'll be happy to see you.

Woman: Hard to believe that little guy is already a student at the university... I guess that explains how I got so old.

The two were in an office room, one short haired statue and another with long hair and a selectively stylish pair of glasses. By the talk they were having it sounded like they were long time friends, and Louis' too it seemed.

They were slightly rearranged in the scene, like props moving in a theater play, simply changing positions before speaking again.

Woman: BOR Parasites live inside a dead body and activate every type of cell. It's incredible. I thought this kind of stuff was just in science fiction.

Karen: I heard that if we find out why they run wild, we can start clinical trials.

Woman: If their power can be harnessed, it will start a revolution in medicine. We can make it happen Karen. I know we can.

There was more than a hint of excitement in her voice, and for good reason... or so did the group assume since they weren't doctors. But medicine sounds like a noble goal, a shame things turned out the way they did.

Speaking of which, it was about time tragedy struck this memory too...

There was an earthquake and the ground split, giving way to the black thorns that came from underground. Now this was the scenery they were familiar with, the thorns of judgement blocking their sight every now and then.

Luckily the memory didn't end then, the host living through The Great Collapse. Unfortunately, thorns weren't the only problem back then as the growling and crashing outside could attest to.

The old horrors, monsters seemingly tailor made to kill people. And as most people knew, humanity found a solution...

Woman: Karen, this is insane!

She was apprehensive at something her old friend had said. Something that violated nature itself more than what they planned to.

Woman: We'd be using BOR Parasites to turn corpses into soldiers! There must be another way to fight them!

Karen: The destruction caused by those creatures is spreading. If we don't act now...

There was a sigh, and the woman sounded more disappointed than outraged at the idea.

Woman: ...Right. We don't have time to think about it, do we?

Woman: I'm sorry...

Then she was in a room with a mountain of a man wearing a long coat with a very furry collar. This memory was more recent, and once the first line was spoken they knew just how more recent.