The little sister

She remembers it very well. It was a dark place most of the time, and yet she cowered when light came in. Seeing light in that room meant the doors were open, and it would happen again.

A recurring nightmare, something that wasn't real for her anymore, something she hadn't seen in a very long time.

So why now? Why be haunted with the same darkness and cold of that memory again?

But now was not the time to think about it, because dreams are only that and she was being called out of it. "Wake up" the voice said, as reassuring and familiar as ever.

So she stirs awake, the needs she once let go of resurfacing.

The first thing she sees is light, a lot of sunlight. Avery couldn't fully open her eyes yet, but she was content with squinting for now. She was still in the couch she had fallen asleep on last night, but there was a blanket on top of her she didn't recognize.

Glancing around, she spots a figure facing away from her. Clad in damaged clothes and taller than she remembered, something inside her still gave away who it was.

(Y/N): Wake up already, or the food will get cold.

After so long, she could finally hear him again. No, she had heard him yesterday but now she was listening. She was calm, or as close as she could get to it.

He was still looking at that board without turning back to look at her, but she didn't call out to him.

She was afraid. After yesterday she had developed a fear of rejection, her own brother and possibly the best friend she ever had telling her to leave him alone. It was a ludicrous thought, but fear is often irrational.

Avery takes care when getting up, being as quiet as she can while she prepares her last resort.

Back in the old days whenever she was in doubt her answer would be to cling to her safety net like a child and her teddy bear, so much like yesterday she lunges over the couch at his torso.

But this time her face was met by the palm of his hand not so gently stopping her thanks to her own momentum.

(Y/N): Nice try, but aren't you a bit too old to be doing that still?

Avery: Is that really an argument in this case?!

Avery angrily pushes his hand away from her face, and sees that (Y/N) was smiling, his previous comment becoming clear as a joke. Avery had calmed down a bit after that, focusing more on getting the answers she needed out of him.

Avery: Where have you been all this time?

(Y/N): Outside, trying to not die and find a way home. Would you believe me if I told you that I have been lost for the past years? It was just last week when I found the others and they brought me to this church.

Avery: Wasn't it dangerous outside a shelter? It had to be with all the lost and terrible bloodsuckers that could have found you.

(Y/N): Most days were alright if I was careful, but others... death came really close to me. Guess I got really lucky when the first people I met weren't "terrible bloodsuckers".

And there it was again, Avery was shaking and holding back her tears. There was no way she could hide it from (Y/N) this time, so he pulls her head onto his chest with a hug. She wastes no time in reciprocating and clinging onto his torso as tight as she could.

(Y/N): There, there. It's fine now...

Avery: I'm so glad you're alive. All this time I had hoped, but I had to face reality... to believe you'd never come back.