RCU 1.5: Saving Private Oliver

(Y/N)'s POV

The revenant— no, that thing turns to our direction, its bright red eyes shining through the full-face mask. Oliver is caught off guard and is completely open to the monster's lunge, his hammer is too heavy for him to react in time even if he's a revenant.

(Y/N): Damn, I can't have him die now. But...

(Y/N): NO! There's no room for doubt, I either do or I don't.

As the lost nears Oliver, I throw my supply bag and hit the thing in the chest.

The small stagger is nowhere near enough to stop the beast, but it seems to throw off its aim by a bit. Oliver's mask takes a pretty hard hit and there is an audible hiss of air, probably broke something in there.

Without wasting another second, Luca cuts the lost down with her bayonet in a swift motion. As the creature disperses into mist we are left with a new problem: Oliver's damaged mask. Luca and I exchange a look before turning to our companion, now leaning his back on the cave's rocky wall and letting out a weak chuckle before speaking.

Oliver: That could have gone better.

There is steam coming from his mask and while I'm no machinist, even I can tell that his filter is busted. Without a working filter the mask is as good as a wet rag wrapped around his face, so he is on a timer before needing to feed or worse, becoming a lost.

(Y/N): The longer I spend near him the bigger the chances I become a snack, still I'd be a massive dick if I didn't help him after he offered me a chance...

Oliver: I'll catch up with you in a bit.

Luca raises her hand towards him, but he doesn't let her stop him. Meanwhile, I reach for my improvised-projectile bag hoping I still have something useful.

Oliver: (Nervous chuckle) ...Don't worry about me. I'll be alright. Go on.

Reaching into my bag, I pull out a roll of the most miraculous tool ever invented and get to work on his mask.

*Loud tape sounds*

Oliver: Hey, what are you...

(Y/N): Taping your mask up. Not really a solution, but it buys us time to find one.

I do my best to cover up the cracked filter, but it is probably not enough. He needs a new filter, and I know just where to get one.

(Y/N): Luca, watch him for me while I go around the corner for a second please.

Luca: What are you going to do?

(Y/N): Find a solution.

I know there are lost right next to us (and lots of them at that) and some of them may still have good mask filters. So all I have to do is immobilize a lost and take its filter before killing it, absolute fool-proof plan. And my genius is only rivaled by my luck it seems, one of the lost wandered far from the group and is ready to lose his mask.

(Y/N): Okay, just aim for the legs and then yank the mask from his face. How hard can it be?

I throw a pebble at it and ready myself for combat. This one shouldn't be too tough since he only has a broadsword, though the growls might scare someone inexperienced into a panic. It starts walking towards me ready to swing that big sword at me in the same horizontal pattern all of these seem to like so much, so I duck under it and with a slash and lots of effort I cleanly cut its foot off. I have to be careful with the mask, so I grab the tattered clothes and prevent it from falling face first.