Designated Rescue Team

It was a  beautiful day outside.

The sun was shining, letting those sweet rays of light bathe the Gaol and its residents with that extra dose of V̸̢̏i̶̢̔t̵̜́a̶̼͒ṁ̴͓i̴̱̋n̵̳̓ ̸̯̎Ḋ̸͙. It would be the perfect day for the fated reunion between a certain estranged someone and his family.

Or it would be, if SOMEONE wasn't on an elevator heading down into a damp cave, again, to help his explorer friends and/or save some random person's ass, again, all to avoid some awkward and likely aggressive reunion.

But this is fine, because it's completely safe and nothing ever goes wrong and everyone is grateful for the extra hands.

Denial is one hell of a drug, please don't indulge too much in it

Yakumo: There's still time to go back, y'know? We—

(Y/N): I swear to god, if you say something like "We can handle ourselves" I will make you wish you weren't immortal.

As the fancy elevator comes to a stop at the bottom of the shaft, leading to a rocky cave filled with stale air and the echo of dripping water, Luca slams the door open very violently and steps out. The rest of them start to slowly and carefully filter out of the contraption, mindful of their companion's... anger? They didn't know what was up with her, but she had been like that ever since they left the church.

And no one wanted to make that worse.

Luca and Io were in front, followed by Louis and Mia in the middle and, finally, Yakumo and (Y/N) at the back.

Yakumo: I'm just saying, it was you who pointed out that we're either being jumped or walking into some hellhole. I know better, but I'll ask anyways: why put yourself through this even though you're contradicting yourself?

(Y/N): Because of two reasons. 1: I'm the one with the clearest thinking right now.

Yakumo gives (Y/N) that look, the one incredulous side glance that you give someone who just said their sad excuse for "best girl" is better than your objectively best girl.

Seeing that, (Y/N) sighs quietly and sets his sword comfortably over his shoulder, except the construction of the sword makes that impossible and he settles for having it in a reverse grip at his side for a minute. He points forward, at the front of the group and quietly speaks about each member.

(Y/N): Mia just came back from technically killing her own brother. That was yesterday. Louis is partially blinded by his ideals, which would be great and all if selflessness didn't get people killed.

He then opens his hand, palm facing up and gesturing at Luca and Io.

(Y/N): Luca... and I mean this in the nicest way possible,  but I suspect she has no idea what she's doing. Io is just following Luca for no apparent reason, which is worse.

Yakumo: Way to talk about our cute powerhouse and the literal key to our expeditions, and overall great friends.

(Y/N): I said that in a caring way. I love having them around, but they are just blindly going with the flow and that's dangerous to them. And to end it all, there's the two of us...

They look sideways at each other, locking eyes for a second before focusing back on the path.

Yakumo: Let me guess, I'm too involved emotionally?

(Y/N): We both are...

Then (Y/N) closes his eyes, and he goes from annoyed to full blown pissed.