Above the White Caps

Through the falling snow and the howling wind, treading the shin deep snowy paths were the three adventurers. The sky was laden with a mist so thick all they could see beyond the edge of the mountain was the glow of the bigger thorns of judgement, and even those were barely noticeable.

Louis: So this is how it feels to be so high up.

Yakumo: First time on the altitude, huh? Good thing we revenants aren't affected by cold or thin air.

Mia: Speaking of which...

Looking back a bit one would find Luca and her human, very much affected by thin air, unwitting tag along. Taking his deepest breaths in a very long time (Y/N) put one heavy foot in front of the other, the unfamiliarity of walking on deep snow not helping much.

Mia: Are you okay?

(Y/N): Yeah, I'm fine. Just need to find a breathing rhythm.

Luca: Maybe bringing you here was a bad idea after all...

Sure it was, everyone knew it was bad to explore a mountaintop without an oxygen supply. Not that it would stop them, bringing a human to any of the places they explored was always a bad idea and it's too late to draw the line for no reason other than "it's a bad idea".

Besides, he wasn't the only one out of his element anymore...

(Y/N): Don't be like that. It'll be alright, maybe...

(Y/N) turns around and looks even further back from the main group, where the form of yet another guest appearance held her halberd upright.

(Y/N): We're moving ahead, you coming?

Io: Sorry. I got distracted.

This morning Io "acquired" Rin's pet project polearm and convinced Luca to let her join in on the expeditions, all after a regeneration-enhancer (drugs, if you feel so inclined) induced, late night vestige purification session. (Y/N) would never even know what reason could make such a precious person like Io decide to fight her way through the harsh world with them.

At least he wouldn't if not for the fact that Luca has been spending the whole morning telling (Y/N) about all of the the memories she's spied on.

As the three of them catch up to the other three, Luca closes up her theory on the bromance between Yakumo and some tsundere friend of his. (Y/N) had actually listened to every word (read: most words), but for the life of him he could not remember all the names she threw at him in the past 5 minutes alone.

Luca: ...and it's got pretty good gifts. Lots of stun based attacks and some niche buffs.

(Y/N): Do all revenants talk about their... blood codes like, stats in a game?

Luca: It's basically how it is, so maybe they should.

Ignoring the story time duo, the others were more interested in their immediate surroundings. Despite being in a mountaintop this place had a skeleton of infrastructure built into it, someone lived here before for some reason.

Yakumo: I wonder what this place was before becoming these ruins.

Mia: Maybe a research facility? The government has been keeping secrets after all.

Louis: Who knows? It's too old for me to make out what it was, though I'm no expert.

The cramped path up becomes an open space protected from most of the blizzard thanks to the natural shape of the stone. The sun could shine down better in this spot and reflected off the perfect snow layer on the ground, undisturbed by any living being.