forty-one

[CHAPTER 41]

OH, THE GUILT

__________________________

January 10th

"Gardener?!! That's my codename?"

"Why are you looking at me?" Emily said, as she flipped the eggs in the pan, "I'm not the one who chose it,"

"I am going to kill Fred and George," Kate fumed, and Violetta looked up from the Daily Prophet, which she had been reading, standing propped against the counter.

"Please don't," she said, and Kate glared at her.

"Easy for you to say, you got a nice one, Rose," Kate huffed, but Violetta ignored her and squinted as she read the names in the paper. "A lot of names this week,"

They did this every Sunday morning, when the Daily Prophet published a list of deceased or disappeared people. Mostly they relied on Potterwatch for order members, but the Daily Prophet provided a more general overview.

"Anyone we know?" Emily asked, turning off the stove. Her eyes ran down the page.

"Not so far–" Violetta abruptly stopped talking.

"What?" Kate said, and Violetta looked up, trying her best to appear inconspicuous.

"Nothing," she said, and Kate raised her eyebrow.

"You're fibbing, Vi, come on,"

"It's nothing," Violetta insisted, "Are the eggs done?" she asked Emily, with a serious look in her eye.

"Er. . .yes, they are," Emily stammered. Which name had Violetta seen?

"Violetta," Kate said, "Come on, don't be ridiculous,"

She reached for the paper in her friend's hand, but Violetta held it out of her reach.

"It's nothing," Violetta insisted, as Kate tried to clamber over her, "Kate, ouch, stop,"

Kate finally got a hold of the paper, letting out a chuckle as she straightened out the paper. "I wouldn't have to hurt you if you weren't being so stupi–"

Kate's voice caught in her throat.

"I'm sorry," Violetta said morosely, and Emily watched Kate carefully, who looked as if somebody had hit her in the face with a teapot.

"Who is it?" Emily asked, and Kate wordlessly handed her the paper.

Emily's eyes scanned down the list of people.

"Kate, I'm so sorry," Emily said, and Kate took a shaky breath

Robby had been Kate's boyfriend for a year and a half. He was a Ravenclaw from their year, and they had met in the DA midway through their fifth year, before splitting up at the end of their sixth year when Kate had insisted on dropping out of Hogwarts and joining the Order. She hadn't heard from him after that, but assumed he had gone into hiding because his mother was muggle-born.