five

[CHAPTER 5]

KATE'S ADVICE

–––––––––––––––––

–––––––––––––––––

2 weeks later

"MS. POOLE!"

Emily grimaced as she was stopped in her tracks by the stern voice of Minerva McGonagall.

She turned on her heel to face her Transfiguration teacher.

"I still haven't received your homework on the History of Animagi," she said, and Emily nodded slowly.

"Right," she said, "Uh....can I get that to you tomorrow?" she asked hopefully, and McGonagall raised a single eyebrow.

"It was due a week ago," she said, and Emily winced.

"I'm sorry professor, but with the new school year, and Quidditch trials this afternoon-"

McGonagall looked more sympathetic at the mention of Quidditch. Ever since her 3rd year, when Oliver Wood had watched her fly during a prank she had pulled on Kate where she had hung all of her favorite clothes on the Quidditch posts, Emily had played chaser for the Gryffindor team.

"Have it on my desk latest by tomorrow afternoon," McGonagall said, and Emily's faced relaxed into a grin.

"Thanks a bunch, Prof-"

"Any later and I'll start deducting points," she wagged her finger at the brunette, before turning and walking up the staircase, her emerald robes billowing behind her as Emily pulled a grimace.

She was in a grizzly mood as she stepped into the Great Hall, spotting Violetta and Kate arguing wildly at the Hufflepuff table. At dinner, and especially at the opening feasts, students were required to sit at their respective house tables, but during lunch and breakfast, the teachers usually didn't care much.

So, Emily made her way to where her friends were sitting, but was stopped in her tracks when she heard a familiar voice call her name. She turned to face Harry, and he jogged to reach her as her stomach started coiling into uncomfortable knots.

As September had gradually become colder, Emily had managed successfully to avoid Harry, although he was starting to notice it more and more, which meant he tried to talk to her more and more.

"Quidditch tryouts this morning," he said, "You coming?"

"Oh well, I wasn't sure if-" she said, but he cut her off.

"Please," he begged her, "We need to keep the team together and-"

"Listen Harry, I'll think about it, I've got lots going on this year," she said hastily, before turning around and setting off towards the Hufflepuff table to sit with her friends.