twenty-six

[CHAPTER 26] 

THE SEVEN POTTERS

[  I used to whisper it will be alright
And lay down at your side
And take your tiny hands into mine  ]

"NO!" Harry said loudly, his voice ringing through the kitchen. "Absolutely not, no way!"

"Told you he'd take it well," said Emily sarcastically from where she was at on Petunia's pristine counter top, legs swinging back and forth childishly.

"If you think I'm going to let six people risk their lives — !"

"— because it's the first time for all of us," said Ron.

"This is different, pretending to be me —"

"Well, none of us really fancy it, Harry," said Fred earnestly, "Imagine if something went wrong and we were stuck as specky, scrawny gits forever."

Emily had to suppress an urge to laugh, but Harry did not smile.

"You can't do it if I don't cooperate, you need me to give you some hair." Harry said stubbornly, taking a step backwards.

"Well, that's us screwed then," said Kate, crossing her arms over her chest. "Thirteen of us against one bloke who's not allowed to use magic; we've got no chance,"

"Funny," said Harry dryly, "Really amusing, Kate."

"If it has to come to force, then it will," growled Moody, his magical eye now quivering a little in its socket as he glared at Harry. "Everyone here's overage, Potter, and they're all prepared to take the risk."

Harry's eyes slid over to Emily, glaring at her. "What about you?"

"What about me?" she said nonchalantly, and Harry looked like he was ready to scream at her.

"There is no way I'm letting you do this," he said, his voice low but angry nonetheless.

Emily raised her eyebrows so high Harry thought it was a miracle they didn't fly off her forehead.

"Letting me ?" she repeated his words back to him, with an incredulous tone, "Didn't realize I needed your permission to do things now,"

"That is not what I meant, and you know it," Harry snapped at her, and she pursed her lips in annoyance.

"Save the domestic," Moody growled at the two, "Emily and Kate will still take the car, with all of your stuff," 

Harry looked relieved for second, but when he caught sight of the look his girlfriend was giving him, he wiped it off of his face immediately.

"Granger, as discussed," Moody growled, and Hermione stepped forward towards him, pulling out a couple of Harry's hairs in the process.

"OUCH! BLimey, Hermione!" he exclaimed, and going to the top of his head. Emily gave him a little satisfied smirk that he found infuriating.

Hermione dropped the hair into the flask. The moment it made contact with its surface, the potion began to froth and smoke, then, all at once, it turned a clear, bright gold.

"Right then, fake Potters line up over here, please," said Moody.

Ron, Hermione, Fred, George, Mundungus and Fleur lined up in front of Aunt Petunia's gleaming sink.

Moody pulled half a dozen eggcup-sized glasses from inside his cloak, which he handed out, before pouring a little Polyjuice Potion into each one, the clear gold liquid sloshing around inside each.