twenty-one

[CHAPTER 21]

THE BATTLE OF THE ASTRONOMY TOWER

a/n: here's an extra long chapter cause I can't leave you hanging in the middle of the battle

_______________

"WHAT DO YOU WANT US TO DO?"

"Violetta? Kate?" Emily asked, dumbstruck, as the latter clambered through the portrait hole, "What are you doing here?"

Kate held up the coin she had received last year when the three of them had joined the DA. She was still dressed in her pale pink pajama bottoms and had thrown a sweater over her top. Violetta looked just a dishevelled, her hair tied into a hasty ponytail so that strands came loose at random and wearing only socks on her feet.

"We got the message," she said, and Emily felt a surge of warmth towards her friends.

The Gryffindor common room was filled with a small group of students, most of them previous DA members. Luna and Neville stood beside Ron and Hermione, and Ginny was standing steadfastly at Emily's side, as she stared down at the Marauder's Map, carefully watching the figure of Draco Malfoy in the Slytherin common room.

"He's moving," Ginny said, tearing Emily's attention away from her friends.

"Keep watching him," she said, "I don't know where..."

"What's happening?" Violetta said, her tone serious, "What's he planning?"

"Something," Emily said, "I don't know what, but something is happening tonight, we might have to fight...Harry, he–"

"You don't have to explain," Kate said, "Just tell us what we can do to help,"

"Somebody has to go to Snape's office..." she trailed off, and two sides of her brain seemed to be at war, Harry and Dumbledore's voices resonating in her head.

Watch Snape.

He can be trusted.

"He's disappeared off the map," Ginny exclaimed, "Right there! On the seventh floor, he just dissapeared!"

"He'll be in the Room of Requirement," Hermione said grimly, and Emily nodded.

She pushed the arguing voices in her brain to the side. She had to make a decision.

"Ginny, Ron, Neville, go to the seventh floor, watch the Room," she said, "If Malfoy as much as gives a peep, hex him into next week,"

Ginny nodded, handing her the map.

"Hermione, Luna, Kate go to the dungeons and watch Snape..." she said, "I don't know what side he's on, but if he's been helping Malfoy..."

She didn't finish her sentence, but the insinuation hung heavy in the air. "I'll watch the doors, the entrances. If anybody gets in tonight, I'll know, I'll send a message with the Galleons."