thirty-two

[CHAPTER 32] 

THE WEDDING

[ Now I'm the one left screaming through the night ]

_______________

THE NEXT HOUR WAS SPENT ferrying guests to and from seats, and by the time she had finished and the all the arriving guests had been shown to their seats, Emily had a bead of sweat rolling down her forehead. She spotted Harry across the Marquee, leading an elderly couple to their seats. He looked dapper in a suit and Emily couldn't stop herself from smiling as she admired him.

"Darling," came a voice from behind her, and Emily turned to face her father.

He had lost weight since she had last seen him, and his usual sparkling eyes were duller and lined with deep purple bags.

"Dad!" Emily exclaimed, crushing him into a hug.

"Can't. . .breathe. . ." he pretended to gasp, and Emily rolled her eyes playfully when she released him, "You look gorgeous, plumpy,"

"Dad. . ." she grumbled, blushing crimson at the old nickname, "How have you been, how's Mum?"

The word felt strange in her mouth, as she had only called her by her first name these last few months of summer.

Her father's eyes darkened further and his shoulder seemed to sag.

"Better, knows who she is, who I am," he said, before eyeing her, "You haven't really been up to see her, you know. . .Something the matter?"

Emily felt her stomach twist into an uncomfortable knot. "I've been busy Dad, with the Order, and with Harry,"

The lie tasted sour on her tongue. The truth was that Emily hadn't been to see her mother because she didn't want to. Even remembering the vacant look in her eyes after the battle when she had looked at Emily was an image she couldn't get out of her head, and it haunted her dreams. It was easier for her father, at least Margaret remembered him. . .

"I hope you haven't been overextending yourself," he said, semi-seriously, and she sighed.

"Lots to set up, we're moving most of my stuff to Hogsmeade after the wedding,"

Her father nodded thoughtfully. "Right. And what about your arm? Healed nicely?"

Emily nodded with a smile, "Molly patched me up,"

"I'm sure she did," he said with a chuckle.

Her father's eyes focused on something behind her, and he smiled, "Ginny!" he said with a genuine smile, and Emily turned around to see the redhead stalking towards them.

"Mr. Poole," Ginny said politely, smiling slightly, "How are you?"

"Alright, alright," he said, "You look radiant dear,"

"Er. . .Thanks. Do you mind if I grab Em for a sec?" she asked, and he nodded.

"No, go right ahead! I should congratulate your parents anyway," he said with a gracious smile, before stepping past them towards where Molly and Arthur were greeting guests.

"What's up?" Emily said, and Ginny sighed.

"Hiding from Muriel," she grumbled, and Emily laughed.

"Yeah, I heard she was giving people trouble,"

"She's been trying to shove her shawl onto me for the past fifteen minutes because she thinks my dress is far too low-cut," she said, and Emily gave a bark of laughter.