three

[CHAPTER 3] 

THE VISIT

–––––––––––––––––––

–––––––––––––––––––

July 20th, 1996

It was early morning and all was quiet on the fourth floor of St. Mungo Hospital for Magical Maladies and injuries. Emily watched as the rain pelted the windows of her ward in thick drops, listening to the soft snoring of the elderly man lying two beds beside her.

She heard footsteps, and saw, in the reflection of the window, a woman with black-streaked white blonde hair, pulled onto her head in a strict bun.

"Come to finish me off?" Emily asked as the woman stopped by her bedside, and she turned her head to look Narcissa Malfoy in the eye.

She looked tired, bags lining her eyes and wrinkles on her forehead more defined than ever.

Narcissa nodded towards the newspaper laying on Emily's bedside table, which showed flashing pictures of her and her son Draco at Lucius Malfoy's hearing.

"So you've read the papers," she noted, and Emily let out a derisive laugh.

"If you think you can scare me into apologizing for sending him to jail, then you can think twice,"

"I was going to apologize to you, actually," she said, and her voice was so deflated of life Emily's harsh feelings towards her softened slightly.

She no longer had the strong gleam in her eye that the woman on the front of the paper had.

She had given up.

"You can't apologize for this," Emily said, nodding towards her arms, covered in bandages, "The damage has been done,"

"I've also come to warn you. You need to be careful," she said, looking Emily straight in the eye, who snorted.

"Is that a threat?" she asked, and Narcissa ignored her.

"Sooner or later he will notice your significance,"

Emily's heart stopped for a split second, and she felt a feeling of dread engulf her insides as she refused to meet Narcissa's eye. There was a tense silence.

"What would he want with me?" Emily asked, but when she went to turn her head, Narcissa Malfoy had already disappeared.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

EMILY WOKE WITH A START in her bed, sweat trickling down her brow as she tried to control her ragged breathing.