twenty

[CHAPTER 20]

THE SEER OVERHEARD

_________________

THE FACT THAT HARRY POTTER was going out with Emily Poole seemed to interest a great number of people, most of them girls, yet Emily found herself newly and happily impervious to gossip over the next month.

"You must be pleased that for once people are talking about you because of a good thing, rather than because you've been involved in horrific scenes of Dark Magic,"

"Kate!" Emily exclaimed at her best friend, and she shrugged innocently as she scribbled on her parchment. They were all sat in the Gryffindor common room, Emily having let Kate in so they could work on the project McGonagall had assigned them. Outside, the rain made soft ticking noises against the window.

"I don't mean anything by it!" she denied, and Emily narrowed her eyes at her. Harry gave a chuckle, putting his hand on Emily's shoulder, who was sat on the common room floor, leaning against Harry's legs and reading the Daily Prophet.

"You're right Kate, I'm pretty pleased for once it isn't something bad," he said.

Kate gave Emily an I-told-you-so look.

"Well, you'd think people had better things to gossip about," said Emily, smoothing out the prophet, "Three dementor attacks in a week, and all Romilda Vane does is ask me if it's true you've got a hippogriff tattooed across your chest."

Across from them, Ron choked on his tea, exploding into a fit of coughs, while Hermione roared with laughter.

"What did you tell her?" Harry asked her, and Emily turned a page of the newspaper idly.

"I told her it's a Hungarian Horntail, it's much more macho." she said inocently.

"Thanks," said Harry, grinning.

"Hmm," said Kate, "Last I saw Romilda Vane, she was telling a group of third years in the bathroom on the third floor that you were a horrible kisser,"

"Me?" Emily asked, giving a stunned chuckle.

"I've heard that too, you know," Hermione said, and now Emily looked entirely disbelieving.

"That's rubbish," she sputtered, and Harry smirked.

"I don't know, Em..." he joked, and she gave him a punch to the shin.

"Ouch!" he yelled, "What was that for?"

"Take that back!" she accused, and he broke into a laugh.

"Don't believe a word they say, Em," said Ginny from an armchair to their left, flipping through the pages of her Charms text book, "I happen to know first-hand you're an excellent kisser,"