twenty-eight

[CHAPTER 28] 

TOUJOURS PUR

 [ I hope you know
That you're my home
But now I'm lost, so lost
]

"HOW ARE YOU DOING?"

"If you ask me that one more time Harry, I will personally throttle you with these bandages,"

Emily was sitting on the couch in the Burrow's living room two days later, glaring daggers at her boyfriend, who put his hands up in defeat.

"I'm just trying to help," he said defensively, and she rolled her eyes.

"Helping is fine. Waking me up to make sure I'm still breathing 6 times in one night is not fine," she said, and Ron, who was sitting at the supper table, stifled a laugh.

"You have a broken rib and an arm you mended the wrong way, not to mention the millions of cuts everywhere," Harry replied dryly, "Excuse me for caring,"

"It's fine that you care, just please stop hovering?" she pleaded, and Harry bristled.

"Fine," he said angrily.

With a shake of his head, he dropped the bandage he had been holding and stormed out of the room. Emily let out a sigh.

"He's so crabby," she muttered, and Ron smiled slightly.

"Mad-Eye dying. . . it hit him pretty hard. He was talking about leaving and everything," he said, and their eyes met.

"Leaving?" she said sharply, and Ron nodded.

"Right before you two showed up. God knows he might've done it too if we hadn't heard you screaming from outside the enchantments,"

Emily took a deep breath, ignoring the throbbing of her ribs. "Was it really that bad?"

Ron scoffed. "That bad?" he repeated incredulously, "We had just heard that Mad-Eye had died, and then suddenly there's a crack and this horrible horrible screaming. You were crying and covered in blood, Kate looked dead and her leg was a bloody mess, I'm surprised you two even managed to apparate,"

"It wasn't exactly pleasant," Emily muttered, remembering the excruciating pain she had been in.

Ron grimaced. "I'm sure,"

"You have got to stop getting hurt," came a voice from the doorway, and Emily let out a whooping laugh as she spotted who it was.

"Vi!" she exclaimed gleefully, hoisting herself painfully upright to give her friend a hug. For a moment the pain overwhelmed her and Emily fought an urge to be sick as she swayed on the spot, but Violetta put a hand on her shoulder to steady her. "Steady Em,"

"I've missed you," Emily said, as she melted into her friend's arms and breathed in Violetta's familiar and comforting smell.

Violetta's body shook as she chuckled. "We've been friends for five years and you've never been this happy to see me,"

They pulled apart and Emily couldn't keep the smile off her face as she looked at her friend. "How are you here?"

"When Lupin sent the patronus that you and Kate had been hurt. . . my parents couldn't have stopped me if they had tried their hardest, I packed my bag and I apparated in the middle of the night. I suppose a howler's on the way, or maybe my mum's angry patronus,"