sixteen

[CHAPTER 16]

EMILY'S FINAL STRAW. 

_______________

_______________

THE NEWS THAT RON had been poisoned spread quickly next day, but it did not cause the sensation that Katie's attack had done. People seemed to think that it might have been an accident, given that he had been in the Potions master's room at the time, and that as he had been given an antidote immediately there was no real harm done. In fact, the Gryffindors were generally much more interested in the upcoming Quidditch match against Hufflepuff, for many of them wanted to see Zacharias Smith, who played Chaser on the Hufflepuff team, punished soundly for his commentary during the opening match against Slytherin.

Emily, however, had never been less interested in Quidditch; she had tried to talk to Harry, but he had, if possible, avoided her even more than usual. And so, Emily had spent another night up on the astronomy tower, expressing all her anger to Draco Malfoy, who had, much to her surprise, said and done nothing but listened to her.

"What do you mean he doesn't want to see me?" Emily asked, her mouth slightly open.

She was now stood in front of the hospital wing for the second time this week, this time faced with an ashamed looking Hermione.

"I'm sorry Em, but he just told me he–"

"Spare me the details," Emily said bitterly.

"For what it's worth, I think he's being stupid," Hermione offered, but it gave Emily little comfort.

The match against Hufflepuff had gone disastrously wrong when McLaggen had decided to be an even bigger prat than usual and had, in an attempt to show the Gryffindor beater how to beat a bludger, knocked it against Harry and cracked his skull.

"I'm going, please let him know from me he's being a complete moron," she told Hermione, before promptly disappearing down the large staircase.

The next few weeks Emily was in a foul mood. With Harry having positively disappeared off the face of the earth, she spent most of her time steering clear of Hermione and Ron and juggled her spare time between Kate and Violetta and Draco. Even Draco had become more distant, and Emily could not figure out for the life of her why everybody was so dead-set on steering clear of her. On a warm evening in April, the entirety of which Emily had spent flying over the grounds on her broom, she had returned to the common room only to be greeted by very healthy-looking Katie Bell, surrounded by jubilant friends.

"Katie?" she asked, completely bewildered, and the girl smiled at her broadly.

"Em! So good to see you!" she cried, and crushed Emily into a hug. It seemed her near-death experience had imbued with an additional zest for life.