thirty-eight

[CHAPTER 38]

 RISE ABOVE

[ I'm gonna carry your bones
I'm gonna carry them all  ]

___________________

"CHRIST, I SWEAR IT GETS COLDER every time I come here," complained Fred, shaking the snow off his coat as Violetta closed the door behind him.

"Shh," Violetta whispered, "The girls don't know you're here and I'd rather not answer any questions right now,"

"No?" Fred asked cheekily, hanging up his coat and turning to face her with a smile, "Embarrassed?"

"No," she said, as his arm went around her waist and he pulled her towards him, "They're just nosy,"

"I'll bear that in mind," Fred said with a laugh, "How are you going to explain my presence for Christmas this evening though?" he joked, and Violetta smirked.

"Maybe I'll just keep you hidden away in my bedroom," she said, and he smiled.

"Now that I can get on board with," he said with a grin as he pressed his lips to hers.

There was a silence as the two kissed in the dark hall, before a voice erupted from beside them.

"You are such a hypocrite!"

A bright light shone down upon them, and the two flew apart, looking up to be faced with the figures of Emily and Kate, wands shining down on them accusingly. Kate had her hands on her hips.

"What?" Violetta sputtered, and Fred looked torn between surprise and amusement.

"You are SO nosy, it's practically coming out of your ears," Emily accused, before attempting her best impression of Violetta's voice, "Oh Emily, are you moving on from Harry? What about Ginny? Are you two together now blah blah blah. . ."

"Hold on–" Fred started, but Kate interrupted him.

"She has a point you know," she told Violetta, "And do you really think we wouldn't notice? You're not exactly quiet–"

"Stop talking!" Violetta exclaimed, her cheeks bright red.

"Yeah, and feel free to start sharing about you and my sister?" Fred asked, peering at Emily, who frowned.

"That's not what we were talking about!" she stammered, and now Violetta smiled triumphantly.

"Yes, DO tell us, dear Emily," she mused, and Emily glared at her.

"I'm going to hex all your hair off," Emily deadpanned, and the smile fell of Violetta's face as she stepped behind Fred.

"You wouldn't," she squeaked, but she sounded a lot less certain than she wanted to be.

"Alright alright, relax," Kate said, "Let's just go upstairs, have some tea, and talk about the fact that there are now more Weasleys in my house each week than I ever thought there would be,"

"Sounds lovely," Fred said sarcastically as they trudged up the stairs, "How have things been at Hogwarts?"

There was a grim silence as the girls shared a look, and Fred didn't miss it.

"I'm guessing not good. . ." he said, and Kate sighed.

"I've been mending broken bones all week," she said, "I mean you should the injuries on some of these kids. . ."