thirteen

[CHAPTER 13]

CHRISTMAS AT THE BURROW

_________________

"GINNY, I SWEAR IF YOU GO go near me with that, I will punch your lights out!"

Emily was standing in the Burrow's kitchen, an apron wrapped around her waist and her hair tied into two long plaits which fell down her shoulders.

"Afraid of a little mucus?" Ginny said, before extending her arm closer towards Emily, who shrieked and took several steps back. She was holding a great, wiggling flobberworm in her hand and had a malicious glint in her eye.

"Ginny, I bloody meant it!" Emily threatened, and they stared at each other for a tense few seconds before Ginny surged towards Emily.

"No!" Emily squealed, as she bolted through the kitchen and past the door, Ginny on her heels, holding the flobberworm at arm's length.

They ran into the entrance hall of the Burrow at full pelt, Emily letting out shrieks as Ginny chased her around the staircase. She bolted up the stairs, taking them two at a time.

"Ginny, go away!" she said over her shoulder, and she could hear her giggling over her shoulder. Emily was gaining on the redhead however, being fitter due her years spent playing quidditch. She got to the top floor and turned a sharp corner, opening the first door she managed, slamming it shut, twisting the key in the lock and putting her back against it.

She was panting, and heard Ginny footsteps race past the door, apparently not having seen her slip into the bedroom. She closed her eyes with a sigh, and she could feel her heart beating out of her chest as she tried to control her breathing.

"Er–Hi?" came a familiar voice, and Emily's eyes flew open. Harry stood in front of her, sheer bewilderment on his features, the corner of his mouth curling into a smile, "Running from something?"

"Ginny–," Emily said in an elated breath, "–is chasing me around with a flobberworm,"

During the past two weeks they had spent at the Burrow, Harry and Emily had maintained a friendship, although to anybody it was clear something had come between the two.

Harry took in the way her plaits were dishevelled and her heavy breathing, and smiled in earnest.

"Shall I give her a shout?" he said innocently, and Emily narrowed her eyes at him.

"I threatened to punch Ginny in the mouth and now I'll extend that threat to you," she said, and his eyes sparkled with mischief. He opened his mouth wide and took a deep breath.

"OH GIN–"

Harry didn't get to finish his sentence as Emily had flown across the room, grabbed him by the shoulders and pressed her hand against his mouth. The rest of his scream was muffled as he tried to shake her off. She lost her grip momentarily and long enough for him to let out a laugh, and he started towards the door. Before he got to the handle, however, she had jumped onto his back, wrapping two arms around his neck and locking her legs around his to trip him up, and in order to not lose his balance Harry had to put his hands on her thighs to support her. He staggered forward, knocking over the chair in the process with a loud thump.