twenty-two

[CHAPTER 22]

THE PHOENIX LAMENT

___________________

___________________

EMILY COULDN'T REMEMBER HOW LONG she stayed in the courtyard for, arms wrapped around the raven-haired boy.

"C'mere, Harry . . ."

"No."

"Yeh can' stay here, Harry. . . . Come on, now. . . ."

"No."

Emily looked up at the enormous game keeper, whose tears streamed into his beard as he gave  her a pleading look. Ginny appeared next to him, and their eyes met.

"You better come," she said grimly, and Emily could feel her heart sinking at the look in her eyes.

"Come on," she whispered to Harry, detaching herself from him and taking his hand, pulling him up. Harry obeyed the pressure without really thinking about it, and he walked blindly back through the crowd, led by Emily, who talked in hushed tones with Ginny.

"Where are we going?" she asked her quietly, and Ginny gave her a serious look.

"We're going to the hospital wing," she said.

"I'm not hurt," Harry spoke up.

"It's McGonagall's orders," said Ginny. "Everyone's up there, Ron and Hermione and Lupin and everyone —"

"Who else is dead?" Harry asked somberly, and Emily squeezed his hand.

"Don't worry, none of us," she reassured him, and she looked to Ginny to assure herself that this was true. The redhead nodded imperceptibly, but her face still looked grim.

"But the Dark Mark — Malfoy said he stepped over a body —"

"He stepped over Bill, but it's all right, he's alive." Ginny said as they walked up the marble staircase and finally stopped at the doors to the hospital wing.

"Emily," Ginny said quietly, putting a small hand on her arm as Harry stepped inside and Emily made to follow him.

"What's wrong, Gin?" she said, and the girl pulled her into a hug.

"I'm so sorry..." she whispered, hiccupping through tears, "Y– Your mum..."

Time felt like it was slowing down as Emily pulled away from her, shock on her features as she looked into Ginny's anguished face. Her legs felt like lead as she turned and ran into the hospital wing, her eyes looking, searching, for her mother's familiar dark hair.

Where was she?

Her breath came in horrible, short bursts, and the panic welling up inside her felt like it was slowly knitting her throat shut. The entire Order was in the hospital wing, and Madam Pomfrey was hurrying around, bandages and ointments in her arms. The ones who had noticed Emily come in were giving her looks of pity, but Emily refused to see them, her eyes only looking for one thing, and not finding it. There was a bed to the left around which the curtains had been drawn, and before anybody could stop her, Emily had surged forwards and ripped open the curtains.