twelve

[CHAPTER TWELVE]

EMILY'S ORDEAL

!trigger warning!: this chapter contains some content relating to sexual assault which some readers might find distressing

!trigger warning!: this chapter contains some content relating to sexual assault which some readers might find distressing. please skip this chapter if you aren't comfortable reading it x 

________________

"I THINK YOU'VE HAD TOO MUCH FIRE WHISKEY," Harry muttered, as he supported Emily with his shoulder.

"Nonsense," she snorted, but the tripping over her own feet betrayed her.

"I didn't even see you drink it!" Harry said, "One minute I looked away to talk to Neville and the next you're stumbling around like an alcoholic,"

"Alcoholic implies I do this a lot," Emily snorted, "Which couldn't be farther from the truth,"

"Humpf," Harry grunted, as he struggled under her weight, "Did you eat rocks or something?"

"Ouch," Emily said, "Did you just call me fat?"

Harry's face morphed into an expression of panic.

"No, Em, I didn't–"

"I'm pulling your leg, Harry" she said with a giggle, and he shook his head.

"I will leave you here," he threatened, his tone playful, and Emily only laughed harder.

Harry was quiet for a second, admiring the way her face looked happy and warm, a warmth that seemed to spread from her to him and through his chest like wildfire.

"What?" she asked him with a chuckle, "Have I got something on my face?"

"You have a really nice smile, Em," he said, and the honesty is his voice sobered her up considerably.

She seemed a little taken aback, but felt a slow blush creep up her cheeks.

"Erm...Thanks, Harry," she said, her mouth curling up into a smile.

He seemed to realize only now just how close they were standing to each other, and he could feel her breath on his face. He looked at her properly, the way her dark brown eyes sparkled with humor, the way her lips curled up into that smile he so loved. Her skin was flawless, not a spot or groove in sight, except for the small mole above her right eyebrow and the freckles spotted on and around her nose. She smelled of clean sheets and fresh flowers, which was an odd mix, but which he found so intoxicating he leaned closer to her.

Emily felt the air change between them, but just as she thought she was about to be kissed, she felt her stomach do a sudden backflip as a wave of nausea hit her. She leaned back suddenly, and Harry looked alarmed.

"Something wrong?" he asked­, and she shook her head.

"Not feeling great I uh–" she stopped herself as she felt the urge to be sick.