forty-three

Chapter 43

[ IN THE MIDNIGHT HOUR ]

_____________________

The minute she felt floor under her feet, her knees buckled and she felt them hit somewhat soft, spongy earth. There was a crunch of leaves, and her face was hit by the cool winter air as she took in her surroundings. They were standing in front of a pair of wrought-iron gates at the foot of what looked like a long drive, and in the dimming sunlight, Emily could spot the large, looming shadow of a mansion at the end of the driveway.

"Get up," hissed Greyback, and the hand that was still knotted in her hair pulled her up roughly, making Emily cry out as she tried to stand on her legs.

She could still feel her wand in her hand. She could try to fight him off, and part of her ached to hit him with every spell she could muster, but his hand was pulling on her hair so tightly she had no doubt he could snap her neck with one sudden movement, which he would certainly make if she tried to stun him. The minute they went inside, she had no doubt her wand would be taken from her.

Suddenly, the iron was contorting, twisting itself out of the abstract furls and coils into a frighten- ing face, which spoke in a clanging, echoing voice: "State your purpose!"

"Fenrir Greyback, I've captured an Order sympathizer," Greyback barked, and the gates swung opne.

"Come on!" said Greyback to his Emily, shunting her through the gates and up the drive by her hair. High hedges surrounded them, and a ghostly white shape appeared on the grass of the front lawn. When Emily realized what it was, her stomach sank.

"We have these ridiculous white peacocks at home. . ." Draco's voice echoed in her head, "Father inherited them from my grandfather and now we're stuck with them,"

She knew exactly where she was. Just before they arrived on the doorstep, Emily dropped her wand in the shrubbery as discreetly as she could. It disappeared amongst the leaves, and Emily made sure to cement the spot in her mind. She would be back for it. They arrived before a large, oak door with a doorknocker shaped like a serpent.

There was some noise behind the door, before a slit at the top opened, and a pair of eyes appeared in the doorway.

"What's this Greyback?" came a cold, feminine voice.

"I was ambushed by order members in Hogsmeade, could've even been Potter. This little bitch claims she knows nothing but they came blasting outta her backdoor,"

The door opened, and in the doorway stood the skinny figure of Narcissa Malfoy.

"And what do you expect we do with her?" she asked him haughtily, scrutinizing Emily's small frame, her eyes sliding to the hand knotted in her now-light blond hair.

"She must know something, so I suggest we make her talk,"

There was a beat of silence.

"Bring her in," she said curtly, and Emily could feel her body filling with dread as she was dragged into the entrance hall, lined with portraits.

"The hall is absolutely hideous, it has all the portraits of my old ancestors. . . They all look like they're judging you, all the time,"

They stepped into the drawing room, which was nothing short of enormous. A crystal chandelier hung from the ceiling, more portraits against the dark purple walls.