forty-nine

CHAPTER 49 

[LOVER OF MINE]

THAT MORNING, Emily woke up to the light streaming through the window.

It took a moment before she opened her eyes, and registered a weight across her waist and another body pressed against her.

She glanced around, and was met with Harry's sleeping features.

Her stomach sank, and she took a sharp intake of air when it started to sink in what they had done last night. She sat up so abruptly he stirred awake, and by the time he opened his eyes, she had slinked out of the bed and was scouring the floor for her underwear.

"Shit, shit, shit. . ." she muttered, squinting before she saw them lying at the foot of the bed.

Immediately her mind was filled with a vivid image of them being pulled off, and it was as if his hands were on her body again, fingers running under the hem of her underpants, making her shiver. She shook her head as she pulled them on hastily.

"Em?" he asked groggily, "What's wrong?"

He sat up in the bed just as she located her shirt and pulled it over her head. More images flooded her mind.

His lips, leaving featherlight kisses down her shoulders and in the crook of her neck, his hand running up her thigh, his fingers tangled in her hair.

It took all her willpower to dispel them.

"Fuck. . .", she swore desperately under her breath, looking for her pants.

"Emily," Harry's voice brought her back, and he observed her with concern, noticing the look on her face, "What's wrong? Did I hurt you?"

"We shouldn't have–" her voice caught in her throat and she took frantic breaths, eyes perusing the floor desperately for her jeans. "We shouldn't. . .I need to. . . where are my goddamn pants?"

Harry looked around himself, grabbing his glasses from the bedside table and putting them on. "Uh, they're here. . . What the hell is going on?"

She took the pants from his outstretched hands, pulling them over her legs as quickly as she could. Her hands were shaking so much she struggled buttoning them up. "Shit. . .come on,"

"Emily!" Harry said, much louder this time, pulling her out of focus. When she looked up at him and their eyes met, hers were filled with inexplicable despair.

"Please just breathe. . ." he said softly, stepping out of bed. Emily tried to ignore the fact he was wearing nothing but a pair of boxers, trying to look anywhere but him. He stepped towards her.

"I can't. . .I–" Emily stammered, and he put his hands on her shoulders, forcing her to look at him.

"Ems, what's going on?"

When she looked up at him, her brown eyes were filled with tears.

"I'm not single, Harry, I'm not–" she took a great, heaving breath.

"W–What?" he asked her, dumbfounded.

When she said nothing, his hands fell from her shoulders as he realized what she was saying, and his eyes widened and he took a gasping breath.

He ran his hand through his hair anxiously, giving her a shocked look. "Oh my god. . . Emily. . . we just–. . . shit, Em,"

"I know!" she said, "Just. . . I know okay? I messed up, I bloody fucked up,"