twenty-nine

CHAPTER 29

A SPECIAL BIRTHDAY

[  I keep imagining those flames that did rise

And blackened up the sky

The light that showed you barefoot in the snow ]

TWO DAYS PASSED rather quickly, and before Emily knew it, it was the morning of Harry's birthday. She had been lying awake in bed for almost two hours, just thinking about her plans after the wedding, worrying, planning, listening to the sound of Harry's breathing.

At last, when she heard the cuckoo clock downstairs ring 9 AM, Harry stirred awake and she felt his arm warp around her waist.

"Morning," she said with a chuckle, turning to face him in the bed. His eyes were half-shut with sleep and he looked momentarily disoriented, before his eyes rested on her face and he smiled softly.

"Morning," he said with a yawn, "What a nice way to wake up,"

Emily smiled, before his breath fanned her face and she grimaced, slapping a hand over her nose.

"What?" Harry asked her, eyes widening slightly.

"Your breath seriously smells," she told him, her voice muffled from her hand and Harry rolled his eyes, a small smile on his lips.

"Yours doesn't exactly smell like roses, you know," he replied, and she frowned, taking her hand away to give him a scalding reply. 

She didn't get the chance however, as she felt him pull her close by her waist and he kissed her hard on the lips. Emily smiled into the kiss, before returning it eagerly. Harry's hand came up on the back of Emily's head and he deepened the kiss as her hands tangled into his hair. His hand had just slid down her waist to her bum when there was a knock on the bedroom door. 

Harry groaned and pulled away from the kiss.

"Go away," he shouted at the door, and Emily giggled ashe turned back towards her and pulled her in for another kiss.

"Mum's made you a birthday breakfast," came Ron's voice from the other side of the door, "Should I tell her you're too busy being a randy teenager to eat it?"

Harry's eyes widened in panic and Emily laughed as he let out another groan.

"We'll be right there," Emily said with a chuckle, and she heard Ron's footsteps thump back down the stairs, "Come on Harry,"

"I don't want to," Harry said stubbornly, "I want to stay here in bed with you,"

Emily tried to get out of bed but his arm stayed steadfastly around her waist. "Harry, come on. If you get out of bed I'll give you your present,"

"Unless my present involves you in my bed, I'm not interested," he muttered, and Emily shook her head with a laugh.

"Cheeky," she told him, before finally wrestling out of his grasp and getting out of bed.

Emily's pajamas didn't consist of much, and all she had been wearing was a t-shirt that was too big for her and a pair of knickers.

Harry had to avert his eyes because he was sure if he looked at her any longer he wouldn't hesitate to lock the bedroom door and forget all about Mrs. Weasley's breakfast.