nineteen

[CHAPTER 19]

GINNY'S SOLUTION

___________

EMILY WAS GRATEFUL FOR QUITTICH PRACTICE

She had fled the scene with Harry and Draco at full pelt, making a straight line for the grounds and the pitch, above which the sky had turned a dark, grizzly grey. She stubbornly swallowed the tears that were threatening to spill down her cheeks, and opened the door of the Gryffindor changing room with such force she almost knocked over Ginny Weasley.

"Ouch! Em?" she asked, bewildered at the angry fire in Emily's eyes, "What's wrong?"

"I need to hit something," Emily seethed, and Ginny nodded, her eyes darkening as she scowled.

"Me too," she said, grabbing a quaffle as Emily reached inside the broom cupboard and grabbed her Nimbus 2001 and Ginny's broom.

"No," Ginny said, instead reaching for the beater's bats. Emily gave her a questioning look and she just gave her a look that said 'trust me'. They marched out onto the pitch, and Ginny gave Emily a bat. 

They stood facing each other.

"Okay," Ginny called, preparing to throw the ball, "Every time you bat, tell me what's pissing you off,"

It seemed silly, but as Ginny tossed the ball and Emily readied herself to bat it to Ginny, all her anger seemed to materialize.

"I wish boys weren't so stupid !" she shouted, and Ginny laughed as swung her own bat. A drop of water hit Emily on the nose, but she ignored it.

"I wish Dean wasn't so possessive!" she yelled as it flew back to Emily. There was a clap of thunder in the background.

"Harry keeps ignoring me and I don't deserve it !" Emily said at the top of her voice, punctuating her words by hitting the ball, as more drops of rain started to fall on her arms.

"Ron is a filthy hypocrite!" Ginny screamed, and Emily let out an elated laugh.

"Why do some boys think they're entitled to my body?" Emily shouted, and Ginny let out a joyous whoop as the ball flew towards her. It had started to rain properly, and Emily could feel her clothes becoming wet.

"I don't need saving, especially not from a guy!" Ginny howled, and finally, as the ball flew towards her at full pelt, Emily felt all the anger from the past months, the anguish and the pain from her assault, the fear leave her in a last, swooping bat.

"I hate men!" she bellowed, and the ball flew past Ginny and over her head. 

Ginny let out a whooping laugh and screamed with elation into the morning air. Emily did the same, letting out all the emotions that churned inside her and letting her voice carry across the empty field as she let the rain pelt her face, opening her mouth and closing her eyes to enjoy the feel of the cold water running down her face. She let out several elated laughs as Ginny stumbled towards her, wrapping her arms around Emily, making her look down. They squeezed each other into a much-needed hug, and Emily buried her face into Ginny's shoulder, the smell of flowers filling her nostrils. She hadn't even noticed the tears running down her cheeks until she tasted them on her lips.