fifteen

[CHAPTER 15] 

THE TALE OF DRACO MALFOY

_______________

AS THE DAY HAD TURNED to evening, Emily found herself standing in front of the doors of the hospital Wing, slightly out of breath and sweaty from having run from the Gryffindor common room. She had heard Cormac McLaggen boasting to his friends about playing keeper this weekend because Ron was in hospital, and had promptly gone in the hope he was okay, but now she stood rather awkwardly, not daring to go inside in the case she was not wanted. She stood for ten minutes, before she heard a panicked sort of sobbing, and Lavender Brown came hurrying around the corner.

"What happened?" she demanded upon seeing Emily, "What happened to my Won-Won?"

"I..." Emily didn't finish a sentence, partly because she did not know what had happened, and partly because Lavender had shoved past her and opened the doors with an almighty push. Emily followed after her.

"Where is he? Where's my Won-Won! Has he been asking for me?"

The infirmary was practically empty, and Ron was lying in the only occupied bed, unconscious and looking ghostly pale. Hermione and Ginny were sitting around him; Harry stood a little ways to the left of his bed. At the foot of the bed stood professor Dumbledore, McGonagall, Snape and Slughorn, the latter of which was holding an opened bottle of mead in his hand. Emily stayed to the back of the room, not wanting to intrude upon the scene as Lavender had.

Lavender had stopped at the foot of Ron's bed, and was glaring daggers at Hermione.

"What's she doing here?" she asked, voice trembling with anger and jealousy.

"I might ask you the same," Hermione replied.

"I happen to be his girlfriend,"

"I happen to be his... friend." Hermione faltered on that last word. Lavender let out a scalding scoff.

"Don't make me laugh. You haven't spoken in weeks. I suppose you want to make up with him now that he's suddenly all interesting,"

Emily's eyes widened at the scene unfolding in front of her, her mouth corner curling up into a small smile. Hermione looked positively affronted at Lavender's comment.

"He's been poisoned, you daft dimbo! And for the record, I've always found him interesting," she said, and Emily had fight a strong urge to laugh.

In his bed, Ron stirred, and Lavender gave Hermione a withering look.

"Ha! See? He senses my presence," she said triumphantly, before leaning towards him, "I'm here, Won-Won. I'm here –" 

Ron whispered something that sounded suspiciously like Hermione's name, reaching for her hand, and Lavender recoiled as if she had been scalded. In an instant, she had disappeared in a flurry of brown curls, a sob escaping her throat.