twenty-three

[CHAPTER 23]

VIOLETTA'S PROMISE 

_____________

EMILY REALLY HATED THE COLOR BLACK.

Lying in her bed early the morning of Dumbledore's funeral, she stared at the dress that hung on the corner of her wardrobe, the color staring back at her tauntingly, a hat with a small black veil attached to the hanger. 

It had been two days since the battle. 

Upon her return to the castle, Emily had talked to her father, and they had grimly agreed not to send her mother to St. Mungos as it would no longer be safe. Instead, he would take her to an old family estate she had inherited from her own mother, an old cottage that lay North of Hogwarts, on the outskirts of Scotland, near the sea. The order had agreed to protect it accordingly so that there would be no trace of the little house to all those who did not know its secret. Her father and mother had left the night before to begin settling Margaret in but Emily had elected to stay for the funeral, partly to honor Dumbledore, partly to support Harry. 

Wizards and witches had been pouring into Hogsmeade village all weekend, preparing to pay their last respects to Dumbledore. Some excitement was caused among the younger students, who had never seen it before, when a powder-blue carriage the size of a house, pulled by a dozen giant winged palominos, came soaring out of the sky in the late afternoon yesterday and had landed on the edge of the forest. A delegation of Ministry officials, including the Minister of Magic himself, had been accommodated within the castle, and Emily had noticed Harry had stubbornly avoided them.

"Awake already?" said a soft voice from behind her, and Emily turned to look into a familiar pair of green eyes staring at her. Harry sat on the end of the bed, his gaze boring into her. Over the last few days, Emily's dormitory had emptied; Parvati Patil had swiftly disappeared the morning before last, Fay's parents had come to pick her up last night and Sally Smith's parents had insisted she stayed with them at their room in Hogsmeade until after the funeral.

"Didn't sleep very much," Emily said, as she sat up in her bed.

"I heard you stir," Harry said, and Emily desperately fought the urge to blush.

After Fay had left last night, Harry had come up and they had spent the majority of the evening sat on her bed, talking, until Emily had dozed off at about one in the morning.

It's not like they had done anything.

Harry had gallantly slept in Fay's bed, but Emily would be lying if she said she hadn't wished he had slept next to her instead.

"You snore," Emily said to Harry, and his eyes widened.

"You're joking?" he asked, shocked. Nobody had ever told him that before.