ten

[CHAPTER 10] 

A (UN)PLEASANT SURPRISE

__________________

THE FIRST THING EMILY felt when she came to was pain. She was aware of a strong smell of disinfectant flooding her nostrils, and opened her eyes to the blindingly white ceiling of the infirmary.

"Oh good, you're awake," said the voice of Madam Pomfrey, "You gave us quite a turn,"

The small but stout healer rearranged the pillows behind Emily's head to allow her to sit up slightly, making Emily wince from the intense pain in her ribs.

"Oh yes, that'll hurt for some time," Madam Pomfrey said, "I can fix bones, but the bruising from the impact of the fall will last a week at least,"

Emily's eyes swept across the infirmary and only then noticed a figure sitting hunched in a chair, a little way off the left of her bed. She recognized a familiar mop of messy raven black hair, parted slightly to reveal the thin lightning-shaped scar on his forehead.

"He's been here all night," Pomfrey said, following her gaze "Refused to leave your side until you woke, a right pain he was,"

With that, the healer walked away towards her office, closing the door. The sound seemed to startle Harry awake, and his eyes shot wide open, before settling on Emily.

"You're awake," he said groggily, and she smiled.

"Looks like you aren't," she teased, and he smiled lightly as he stretched.

"How bad was it?" she asked, and he sighed.

"You had a broken nose, a fractured ankle and two broken ribs," he said, and Emily grimaced.

"Those I feel," she said with another groan as she adjusted on her pillows, "Apparently I just love hospitals," 

She said it with a laugh, and Harry shook his head jokingly.

"Please, no more," he said.

"Don't worry, I'm quite done hurting myself,"

"Does this mean you'll quit Quidditch?" Harry asked, trying to make his voice sound as neutral as possible. Emily didn't miss the undertone of worry.

"Not unless I have to," she said, and a look of relief spread over Harry's face, one he didn't even try to cover up.

"Thank god," he breathed, "don't think I could handle Cormac McLaggen making another try at joining the team. Did you know he's offered to fill in for you three times since your accident? He kept showing up here and finally Madam Pomfrey had to chase him out,"

"Remind me to hex him," Emily muttered, and Harry smiled.

"But in all seriousness, Em, nobody can replace you," he said with so much sincerity it made Emily blush.