one

[CHAPTER ONE]

 Aboard the Hogwarts express

–––––––––––––––––

"YOU'LL OWL ME?" 

Margaret Poole asked her daughter Emily as they stood on Platform 9¾, the steam from the waiting Hogwarts Express billowing around them.

"Yes, god Mum-" she was cut off when her mother squeezed her into a tight hug.

"I'll miss you loads, darling," she said, and Emily had to stop herself from rolling her eyes.

"I'll miss you too Mum," she said, keeping the exasperation from her voice.

She turned to her father, a tall, slim, man who smiled at her through a pair of spectacles. Although she got her long dark locks and face from her mother, she had inherited her father's light brown eyes and humorous, laid-back character.

"Don't do anything stupid poppet," he said, and Emily smiled.

"I can't guarantee not sending you a toilet seat maybe, but...." she trailed off, before giving her father a hug as he chuckled. The train whistled with urgency and Emily saw that the big iron plated clock hanging off indicated that it was 5 to 11.

To their side, Mrs. Poole seemed to have noticed as well and checked her watch nervously.

"You should get on the train, or you'll miss it," she said, and kissed her daughter on more time, "We'd love to see you off, sweets, but we really should be going, Daniel, we have a lunch with the Figglers at 12, and I still have to buy some things at Diagon Alley-"

"Alright, Alright we'll go darling," he said, nodding to his daughter, "See you at Christmas, plumpy," he said with a wink, before extending his arm to his wife. She took it, and with a last smile the Pooles disappeared with a faint crack.

Emily sighed as she dragged her trunk behind her and walked towards the train, stepping up the small set of metal steps and into the corridor with the glass compartment doors.

It was now 2 to 11, which meant most people were already sitting in their various compartments, and she passed few people on the way to the storage room. The storage rooms looked tiny from the outside but had been adjusted with undetectable extension charms, the crest of each house emblazoned upon the door.

The door of the Gryffindor room stood slightly ajar, and Emily could the vague outline of a couple kissing. It was only after opening the door and causing the two teenagers to fly apart that Emily recognized Ginny Weasley's fiery red hair.

"Em..Emily!" Dean Thomas stammered as the brunette smirked at the pair.

"Hello you two," she said, and Ginny rolled her eyes, "Enjoying ourselves?"