f o r t y - s e v e n

This chapter is shit. It's 2:56am, I have pneumonia, potentially mono, I have had an impeccably shitty night, but here you go.

"Dude, do you ever just stop and laugh at how much your life actually resembles some shitty soap opera?"

"Avery, I swear to God, I am so not in the mood."

He chuckled lightly, and I couldn't help but smile back down at my lap very small, as he passed me the joint pinched between his thumb and forefinger.

I lifted it to my lips and took a hit, fluttering my eyes closed momentarily as I sighed the smoke into the sunset from where we were seated on the roof of the college.

"It's kind of true, though." he mumbled.

"Avery!"

"Well!" he replied with an innocent laugh. "It seems like every day of your life, someone's pissed and fighting or having a mental breakdown or something. Not to mention that the whole world seems to be in love with you. You are living a daytime television show, my friend."

I laughed inwardly, taking another hit off the joint and sighing out the smoke.

"Aye, come on, puff, puff, pass, man, those are the rules." Avery laughed, reaching over me to steal the joint from my fingers before I twisted away from him.

"Hey, I'm the one living a soap opera, I get an extra puff if I want one." I snickered, taking another hit while I remained twisted away from him.

He just laughed, snatching the joint from me and sitting back up. "And I got jumped by your boyfriends twice just for being with you."

I chuckled.

"Not my boyfriends." my nose twisted in disgust. "Especially not Nate."

"Nah, it was the boyfriend boyfriend that jumped me bad, anyways." he said.

I scoffed.

"I haven't had a boyfriend boyfriend in a while, Avery." I sighed. "And don't underestimate Nate. As Dean said, 'don't piss off the nerd angels'. Except, you know, I'd be hard-pressed to call Nate an angel of any sort."

He turned to look at me, his eyebrows raised and a small smirk playing on his features. "Don't start quoting daytime television on me, Luke."

"Supernatural isn't daytime television, you swine."

"I don't even know what the fuck that is."

"I don't even know why I'm hanging out with you." I scoffed, my eyebrows raised in return.

"Hmm," he hummed, "maybe because I'm the only person left who isn't in love with you and actually just likes you, you know, platonically. You know, something you don't seem to be used to, ya big shot."

I smiled crookedly, stealing the joint from his fingers and shoving him by the shoulder. "You sure were in love with me that day on the underground."

His cheeks reddened profusely, as his eyes found refuge in his fingers all tangled in his lap.

"Shut up."

"I wub you."

"I'm gonna push you."

"That a promise?"

"That took a dark turn." he chuckled dryly, taking the joint I had offered in my fingers, taking a hit and slumping forward.

"Well, would you rather star in a soap opera or plummet five stories into traffic and die?"