[e p i l o g u e]

here is a terribly written epilogue to end a terribly written story. i decided to end it in ashton's point of view, because that's how it started, and after all, this has always been ashton's story.

Ashton

Luke had this idea that we all go on a trip for winter break, and although I figured the last thing anyone would want to do at this point would be to cram into a car together for god knows how many hours, I should've realized how desperate everyone was to get out of Chicago in the dead of winter.

The only thing we weren't counting on, though, was it being a twenty hour drive.

Luke suggested Miami, because he said Avery really wanted to go and that the weather would be great compared to that of here, right now. So honestly, I think everyone was at a point of no return on getting out of Chicago's winter, because no one showed much reluctance cramming together for a twenty hour trip.

Of course, considering the group consisted of me, Luke, Nate, Owen, Ray, Brian, Avery and Luke's friend Ellie, Ray had to jump at the bat to suggest that we use his brother's type 2 for the drive. And though everyone was unbearably reluctant to use that for the drive, Luke very cheerily insisted that cramming eight people together in a van for twenty hours would be a great way for us to all get over our differences.

None of us knew Ellie, me included. According to Luke, though, before I inadvertently ruined his life a bit (okay, okay, my words, not his), Ellie was his best friend, and he was quite looking to patch things up with her. And though I had mixed feelings on that, I was more worried about her being forced into a van with the seven of us for that entire trip, stuck with us for a week there, and then forced back into a van with us for another twenty hours. And though I voiced my concern to Luke, because God knows what the lot of us were capable of, he insisted that she could handle it.

I had to give him some credit though; what better way to repair a broken friendship then to do so when she's trapped with him for a week with no escape?

Anyway, the trip had been exhausting. Luke drove, despite mine and Avery's protests because really, we were the only ones who seemed to understand just how bad his driving was. Avery rode shotgun, which left the rest of us in the back of the van together.

Ellie wasn't bad at all, and when Luke said she could handle us, he wasn't lying. Because she was practically the female version of Luke when it came down to it, so she handled us as well as him, if not better.

Eventually, about twelve hours in, Avery had taken over driving so Luke could sleep, and within a few hours, everyone except for Avery and I had passed out.

It was a little awkward at first.

"So, you were never really dating Luke, right?" I questioned rather reluctantly, eliciting a light chuckle from his lips.

"No, not really. I mean, I went on a date with him once, yeah. But before, he was just so terrified of seeing you back here that he called me and I couldn't just abandon him." he replied, glancing at me from the rear-view mirror.

I scoffed at myself, moving my gaze to my hands. "He's still angry."

Avery sighed, cocking his head slightly.

"Can you blame him?" he asked.

I huffed, smirking rather dryly at myself. "Not at all."

"Give him time." he responded. "I haven't known Luke all that long, but I know enough to know that he won't hold it against you. And I mean, Luke loves you. A lot. I wouldn't worry about it too much if I were you."