f o r t y - e i g h t

As promised, here is a triple update, and be on the look out for my announcement on chapter fifty.

"Owen Morello!" I stormed in on his English lecture, quite frankly at the point of no return and not caring how many people turned to glare at me.

His eyes grew very wide and he didn't say anything for a moment--no one had, actually, not even Professor Winters, though he eyed me and my white-knuckle grip on the door quite wearily.

"Mr. Morello?" Winters asked cautiously, watching me from the corner of his eye. "Do you need to be excused for a moment?"

Owen's eyes flickered from me to Winters', and he was evident in his features that he was a little terrified and a bit panicked by his quick, jutty movements and furrowed eyebrows.

He opened his mouth for a second, closing it almost immediately as he caught my eye again, and I was surprised I wasn't actually blowing steam out of my ears at this point.

"Uh, no, Sir, I don't know what Hemmings is doing in here." he stuttered after a moment, and I could feel my anger burning like a wildfire in my lungs and the vein prominently protruding from my forehead.

"I will drag you out of here kicking and screaming if I have to, you piece of shit!" I yelled, before releasing my grip on the door and walking rather quickly towards the steps after Owen.

"Mr. Hemmings!" Winters demanded, reaching a hand out towards me but never actually trying to grab me. "Don't make me call campus security."

I ignored his threats, grabbing Owen by his arm and the collar of his shirt and tearing him from his spot, sending his books flying to the floor from his lap. "Don't worry." I said. "If he cooperates, this'll only take a minute."

And with that, I dragged Owen down the steps with forty different sets of eyes trained on me including Winters', who just sat there helplessly and all but allowed me to drag Owen from the room.

I allowed the door to close behind us before I slammed Owen against the dirty brick wall, eliciting a sharp wince from him. I pulled the letters out from where they were crammed in my back pocket, shoving them against his chest.

"When the hell were you going to tell me about these?" I yelled, not in the manner of caring who heard me.

He took them from my hands, looking through them. "I--I don't even know what these are."

"Oh yeah?" I snorted. "Mr. motherfucking Sant-y Claus must've snuck into our dorm and hidden these in your desk, yeah?"

He sighed, very exasperated and a bit panicked.

"Look, Luke," he started wearily, "I didn't want to give these to you because I thought you were doing fine without him and I didn't want to stir things up again."

I squinted my eyes at him in a very dry, sarcastic manner.

"I almost OD'd on heroin and you take that as me doing fine?" I scoffed. "Are you fucking kidding me?"

He moved his gaze to his feet, anxiously tangling his fingers together and God, he had the worst bowlegs I'd ever seen but he'd still somewhat managed to shift his feet all pigeon-toed and I didn't know what the hell his problem was, because if anyone in this situation ought to be mad, you're damn straight it ought to be me.

"You're different, you know." he said, very bluntly and sharp around the edges.

I scoffed.

"What?"