Chapter 21: Broken Curse

He loves you, but how is that even possible with someone as unlikable as you?

You even killed him, how sad is that?

You were the reason he died.

I can only possess the weak. What does that say about you?

I'm only human. And I'm a victim, and so is he. You are what killed us.

You aren't even dead.

Than why aren't I breathing?

...

....

...

...

...

"You are breathing. It's just slow."

"It's not my air."

"What do you even mean?"

"These aren't my lungs."

"They are your lungs."

"No...not anymore at least..."

"They are yours. He's breathing for you, as annoying as it is."

"Why don't you just kill me if that's what you want."

"Because I don't want you dead. Where's the fun in that? I want you broken and in shambles before that even crosses my mind, human."

"I'm already broken."

"You don't even know the meaning of the work broken. Not yet at least."

"Why don't you just kill me...?"

"It's not fun."

"No...death is fun for many. I used to think if death as a fun form of release."

"A coward's escape."

"You can't kill me...can you?"

"It wouldn't be hard to just stop your heart."

"I felt your pain when Lewis burned off my old arm. You...when he tried to kill you."

"What of it? You are really starting to annoy me."

"If I die you die. That's the hitch isn't it? What if I come back...? You just might as well, but you'd be inside another paranormal being... I'd eat you whole~."

Twisted, his desires became twisted, and on the outside his unmoving, body smiled softly, a smile that was not a smile of relief or happiness.

A smile of a deadman.

Mystery watched his body with tense and tired shoulders, tails having finished patting out the flames, his mouth holding Lewis's locket protectively, his bite gentle and unharmful to the item in his possession. His eyes watched as half of the body went pink, and the other half went Green. Lewis seemed to be winning his battle, but he couldn't tell.

This was different. Very different. Both invasive parties were at a stand still, not even struggling. They were seemingly frozen and the phantom limb had ceased, leaving only his actual flesh and blood arm. He was bitten up and bloodied, his wound was singed, and smelled of cooked flesh.

He looked exhausted.

"Mystery!" Shiromori called from upstairs. "Why's it so quiet down there?"