Chapter 4: Nicknames

Morning ended and the afternoon slowly turned to evening. Lance was still at the house and cooked dinner. Lewis didn't need food, but ate anyways despite being almost unable to taste much of it. Vivi had yet again passed out, and Arthur was still unconscious in his room after the morning's argument, and Mystery was sitting at the foot of Arthur's bed napping to heal himself some.

Lewis sat in the living room, staring down at his grey locket, It beating with a slight bounce. He was staring into the photo within, sadness consuming him, his worry over Vivi and Arthur having only increased after earlier that morning.

Lance was watching him closely, his stare going unnoticed by the ghost. Lance had been sitting in Arthur's chair, watching over Lewis despite knowing he was dead and had tried to kill his nephew. Lance wasn't the happiest about almost living through that horror, but he couldn't really stay mad.

It wasn't any of their fault. It was some evil power hungry spirit's, and it made him angry because Lance didn't know the first thing about ghost hunting like the gang did. He didn't realize just how dangerous that profession was until now, and now that he was hearing and seeing all of this he wanted Arthur to have nothing more to do with it. Especially after his breakdown that very morning. But he also knew that this was his life, and had been his life for a while outside of the mechanic shop.

"Staring at a picture won't make anything better." Lance suddenly spoke.

Lewis flushed weakly and snapped the locket shut, looking up at Lance with a weary stare before sighing, going limp on the couch while deadbeats comforted him. He shook his head and rubbed his face softly, placing the locket back where it belonged.

"I know..."

"Life sucks. It can get stressful. But things can only go up from here." Lance mumbled softly, rubbing his beard in thought. "once everyone can sit down and talk, I'm sure things can be worked out. And you can show Vivi the locket to see if she remembers."

Lewis rubbed his legs before sitting up, sighing heavily and nodding, glowing irises moving to the clock hanging in the wall over the TV, near a picture of Arthur and Vivi peace signing at the camera view with a very deep canyon behind them, Mystery at their feet grinning as well. His eyes then moved to a picture of Arthur screaming at the camera view. Another one of Vivi at her comic store. Then some other family photos.

Lewis felt a little left behind, and wondered if this was how Arthur felt after he neglected him as a friend. Lewis looked down at his feet, thinking in how raw those emotions were that Arthur displayed. He remembered the grinning face, and tensed, a chill running through his body. Lewis felt left out and alone, forgotten, for different reasons but probably similar to how he felt.

"I'm not sure she will. If this green spirit is really behind all of this, then I think killing it will free us from it's hold." Lewis spoke. "It's probably the only way to help us at this point. But after that, what do we do? Things are different, I'm different. I'm dead, she can't have a future with me. I'll stay the same and she will grow old and die as will Arthur."

"Then you protect them and be there beside them until that day comes." Lance spoke harshly, before relaxing. "I'm not getting any younger, but I'll do my hardest to be there for all of you."

"AHH!" Arthur could be heard yelling from down the hall.

Lewis shot up and grew worried, but Lance merely sighed and stood, stretching. He looked to Lewis and held a hand out to signal the male to calm before he charged into the room.

"Easy hot pink, I know that scream. He woke from a nightmare." Lance spoke and walked across the living room and towards the hallway with the two bedrooms. "Calm yourself. Relax."