Chapter 25: Stress and Chess

A week had passed and the rasp had long left Arthur's throat and he was now able to sit himself up and had much more energy. Vivi's legs were still broken and in pain, but not as intense as they were, though she was still on steroids and pain killers. Vivi found a way by getting Shiromori inside the hospital, by shoving her into a large vase and have only her bonsai hair top poking out.

Now whenever the doctors and nurses weren't jumping inside to check on the two, Shiromori was finally able to see what was going on and be included in conversations.

Currently though, the room was filled with amazement, as Shiromori and Lewis took part in a game of chess, using Arthur's legs as a table for the board. Arthur was closely observing with an intense glare, sipping on his coffee, Vivi watching with mystery in her lap sipping coffee as well.

"You play a very good game if chess. I prefer Shogi, but this is pretty much the same." Shiromori yawned as she protected her king with her rook.

"I used to play with my siblings all of the time. I also competitively played Chess back in my highschool days." Lewis grinned at the memories flooding through his brain, his eyes softening as he took out another one if her pieces with his knight.

"How cute. How awe inspiring. How boring." Shiromori then pretended to gag as she took out that same knight with one if hers. "You sacrificed that Knight for a rook? How foolish if you."

"Whatever helps get my king to victory." Lewis purred softly.

Arthur felt his stomach do a flip in that moment, not missing the very quick glance Lewis directed towards him. Arthur's eyes then landed on Vivi's legs.

His memory then went back to how that arm posed as her. His brain slowly started to drift sideways back to the events that took place within Lewis's mansion. The haunting laughter, the horrid pain, but none of those amounted to the feeling of being possessed.

It was like a wave of ice that chilled him frozen from the inside out, he couldn't even think what he wanted, like there was too much in his soul.

A specific indefinable feeling that set him on edge, left him entirely exposed and vulnerable.

The world struck itself back into his brain in an unwanted whirlwind, so suddenly in fact he visibly winced with shock, body twitching in displeasure. His little twitch caused some board pieces to fall over, making Lewis and Shiromori both whine with protest, casting accusing glares his way.

"Arthuuuuuurrrruh!" Shiromori whined loudly.

"Whyyyuh?" Lewis whimpered sadly. "I was going to win!"

"Nani the fuck did you just say!?" Shiromori instantly cast a very offended look Lewis's way. "Did you even see how much of a lead I had?"

"Yes, I did. But that was apart of my plan. I still had the queen. I would have easily taken you down." Lewis hummed.

"Baka..." Shiromori whispered to herself. "Why did you have to go and ruin the game? We were having fun!" Shiromori whined.

Arthur tensed and shrugged weakly. "Sorry, I guess I had a spasm."

"You two are plotting against me!" Shiromori argued accusingly, pointing her huge fingers at the two males.

"Well jokes on you! We weren't." Lewis stuck his tongue out.

"I'm sure you two can play another game. There are plenty of places in here for a good game." Vivi chuckled weakly, watching as Shiromori pointed.

"How about I play against you then?" Shiromori smirked at Arthur. "Let's try it."

"..W-Wait I'm not a big fan of chess." Arthur held his hand up in surrender, smiling sheepishly at her.