Chapter 4: Ash vs. Brock (Part I)

"Primeape! Primeape!" The pig monkey Pokémon grunted out proudly, while throwing a series of punches in the air. Steam could be seen coming out of Primeape's nostrils as he was breathing hard and ready to fight.

Misty was in the stands in clear shock, while Gary and Tracey were amused at her reaction. After a few seconds of silence from the orange-haired water specialist, she finally turned to look at them, with a face of realization.

"So that's why you guys went to Celadon City earlier today," Misty said as if she realized a universal truth. "You three went to retrieve Ash's Primeape."

"Yep. Ashy-Boy here apparently wanted to use Primeape for the World Coronation Tournament," Gary replied while glancing down at the battlefield. Gary analyzed the terrain of the field. It was one specially made to accommodate and give rock, ground, and steel-type Pokémon an advantage. "Ashy-Boy may have the type advantage over Brock, but it all comes down to skill and how well Ash understands Primeape. I'm sure he hasn't battled with him for years."

"Yeah. Now that I think about it, I don't think Ash or Primeape ever had a serious Pokémon battle together." Misty commented as she watched her two oldest friends stare each other down on the battlefield.

"Then this is the perfect opportunity for Ash to develop and learn Primeape's battle style," Tracey said as he was messing around with the pencil in his hands. "Ash's battle style is very unique and he always does best when he is in a tight spot during the heat of a battle. Battling a tough trainer like Brock will surely show us how well Ash can battle with a fresh Pokémon."

Gary slowly nodded, not averting his gaze from the battlefield below. "You've got a point there, Tracey. I'm interested in seeing how well Ash and his Pokémon can stack up again an opponent like Brock." Misty and Tracey agreed with the mahogany-haired teenager as the three gazed at the trainers below.

"Primeape, huh. It sure has been a long time since I've seen that particular Pokémon. I'd like to say... eight years? Let's see how much both of you improved." Brock mused out loud.

"You got it, Brock. This will be my first battle with Primeape in a long time. But I've grown as a trainer now and I believe in Primeape." Ash said with a confident smirk on his face.

"Pika-pikachu!" Pikachu squeaked, while standing by Ash's side on their side of the trainer box.

 Pikachu hoped that Ash will give him a chance to battle against Brock's Pokémon. Whenever Ash has Pikachu battle, he usually either uses him as his starter or saves him for last. Perhaps Ash is saving Pikachu for the finale.

"We are ready Forrest!" Ash and Brock both yelled out to the boy that was serving as the referee for the friendly match.

"Okay, now that the trainers are ready... battle begin!" Forrest declared as he motioned with his hands by chopping the air. 

"We will take the first move! Sudowoodo, use Wood Hammer!" Brock ordered. Sudowoodo's tree-like hands began to glow bright green and he started to rush towards his opponent.

"Primeape, dodge it and use Thrash!" Ash called out to his Pokémon. The pig monkey Pokémon understood his trainer's order and quickly nodded. At the last second, Primeape managed to dodge the incoming Wood Hammer and countered it with a series of Thrash attacks.

Brock simply smirked. "Not bad, Ash! But it will take more than that to hurt, Sudowoodo! Sudowoodo! Use Harden to up your defenses!"

"Woodo!" Sudowoodo said as he hardened his body and started absorbing Primeape's thrashing as if it was nothing.

"Nice strategy, Brock!" Ash complimented with a grin. Brock grinned back. "Thrash is a very powerful normal-type move. Rock-types resist normal-type moves, so I need to have Primeape use another move..."