Chapter 8: Gary's Mysterious Pokémon

Ash, Misty, Brock, Tracey, Delia, and Professor Oak were currently waiting patiently in the Pokémon Corral. Gary had a few Poké Balls with him after retrieving them from inside the laboratory.

Ash was the most excited out of everyone. He had always admired Gary's Pokémon collection, especially back when they were both rookie trainers. Gary had a superior Pokémon collection back then and had around seventy Pokémon when they were only eleven years old.

Nowadays, Ash isn't as jealous of Gary's collection of Pokémon as back when they were pre-teenagers. Ash made a lot of Pokémon friends over the years and loves each and every one of them. 

However, Ash knew better than to underestimate Gary. His childhood rival is no stranger in catching rare and powerful Pokémon.

"Okay, most of my Pokémon are roaming around grandpa's ranch, so I am going to introduce you to some of the ones that are currently residing inside their Poké Balls. You can see the others roaming around sometime-" Gary paused when he noticed a Pokémon coming over to the group. It had a large rectangular-shaped head that resembled a shield, but it was obviously a dinosaur Pokémon. It appears to weigh a ton.

"Oh, here is one of the Pokémon I caught during my time in Sinnoh. This is a Bastiodon, which is one of the Sinnoh native ancient Pokémon." Gary said to the group. "Ash and Brock, remember when we saved those Shieldon back then from Hunter J?"

"Wait, so was this one of those Shieldon that Hunter J wanted to capture?" Brock asked with surprise. 

Gary nodded in response and grinned. "Yeah. Days before I left Sinnoh, the researchers contacted Professor Rowan and requested for me to take care of one of the Shieldon."

"Really?!" Ash exclaimed. "I wish I could have gotten one of those Shieldon..."

"Well actually, they wanted to also give one to you, Brock, and Dawn, but nobody knew where the heck you guys were. You and Brock were obviously not in Sinnoh, while Dawn declined the offer." Gary said and scratched the back of his head.

"Oh, man..." Ash groaned as he couldn't believe that he missed an opportunity to receive such a cool Fossil Pokémon. The raven-haired teenager thought back to when he had his gym battle against the Sinnoh gym leader, Byron. He owned a tough and durable Bastiodon and gave his Gliscor a very difficult time.

"Aye, cheer up Ashy-Boy. At least you can see mine in all its glory right here at the lab." Gary said with a slight grin, while petting his Bastiodon. 

"Bast..." Bastiodon grumbled.

A few of Gary's other Pokémon came by as well, including Gary's Blastoise, Electivire, Umbreon, Scizor, Nidoking, Nidoqueen, and Arcanine. Many of them were Gary's veteran Pokémon during his Kanto and Johto journeys.

"So what Pokémon are in the Poké Balls you brought out here, Gary?" Misty inquired, as she pointed to the Poké Balls that were currently in his possession.

"Okay, here comes the first Pokémon!" Gary declared as the ball opened. The ball opened to reveal an icy-blue colored shrew Pokémon. Ash immediately recognized the Pokémon from his adventures in the Alola Region.

"Slash!" the Sandslash cried out. The Pokémon started slashing violently in the air, most likely to show its dicing skills and long claws.

"A Sandslash from Alola!" Ash exclaimed.

"Yep. I caught this guy when Gramps and I went to visit Alolan Gramps at the Pokémon School." Gary said. "I met some of your friends by the way. Apparently, this girl named Lillie and her family located her long-lost father or something."