Chapter 7: Ketchum-Style Reunion

Ash and his friends have finally arrived at Ash and Gary's hometown: Pallet Town. They all decided to visit the Pokémon laboratory first before going to Ash's house to see Mrs. Ketchum. However, they were met with a pleasant surprise when they reached the gates of Professor Oak's Pokémon Laboratory. They were greeted by Ash's mother, Delia, and her Pokémon, Mr. Mime. 

Now, Ash, his mother, his friends, and Pikachu were at the main entrance of the laboratory. Ash sighed and looked at the front of the laboratory.

"I haven't been here since Goh and I came here for information about Project Mew," Ash said.

"Project Mew?" Misty repeated with a confused expression on her face.

"We'll tell you later," Gary said to the red-head tomboy of a Cerulean City Gym Leader. He then opened the door to the laboratory and gestured for everyone to come inside.

"Hey, Gramps! Your favorite Grandson is here!" Gary yelled out as the group entered the Pokémon laboratory lobby. Professor Oak turned his sights to the entrance, as he placed down the Pokémon textbook he was reading.

"Ahh, Gary and Ash, my boys. Everyone, welcome. I've been anticipating your arrivals." Professor Oak greeted as he walked up to them from where he was sitting.

"Hi, Professor. How have you been?" Ash asked. 

"Pika!" Pikachu squeaked to also ask the Professor.

"Very well, thank you. Cerise and Augustine Sycamore sent me all your Pokémon yesterday, so I placed all the Poké Balls in that storage box over there." Professor Oak said as he pointed out the box on the desk.

"Oh boy!" Ash exclaimed as he went towards the box to check on his Poké Balls. His Pokémon from Kalos, Alola, and the Laboratory in Vermilion City have all arrived safely, which caused Ash to sigh in relief. "Looks like everyone is here."

"I suggest we head to the Pokémon canal to see all of Ash's Pokémon." Professor Oak suggested as he began leading everyone to the backdoor. Gary suddenly remembered something and stopped.

"But wait, Gramps. What about Ash's surprise?" Gary asked as the thought came to his mind. Professor Oak stared at Gary for a second, but then the elderly Pokémon professor also remembered. He snapped his fingers with realization.

"Oh, that's right. Thank you for reminding me." Professor Oak said to his grandson. He then turned to Ash, as he reached for the front pocket of his lab coat. He picked something out of the pocket and handed Ash a small orange and yellow stone.

"Oh wow, this is a Charizardite Y. It looks exactly identical to what my friend Trevor has back in Kalos," Ash remarked with surprise. "We were all surprised when he revealed mega evolution as his secret weapon for the league."

Professor Oak cleared his throat. "Ah yes. Around three months ago, I got a call from Professor Sycamore in the Kalos Region who told me about a sudden appearance of multiple mega stones near Kiloude City. He and his assistants were able to recover some of these stones for research. He asked if I would like a mega stone of each Kanto Starter Pokémon. Now you know I couldn't refuse, so he sent them over later that day."

"So what are you doing with the mega stones, professor?" Brock asked. "If you are giving Ash the Charizardite, then what did you do with the others?"

"I gave Gary the Blastoisite for his Blastoise, while I've decided to give you this Charizardite Y for your Charizard. I'm keeping the Venusaurite for my research." Professor Oak explained to the group. "Professor Sycamore even sent me a keystone so I can test out mega evolution."

"Yeah, but I had to go to Kalos for my Keystone," Gary whined as he pulled out his necklace with a keystone as the centerpiece. He then grinned. "But at least it only took me a week to find one! I got help from this tall guy in black clothing. I even battled him and this powerful Charizard of his that can mega evolve."