Chapter 21: Promise Between Us

Millions of stars were beginning to shine in the sky, as Ash and Serena casually entered a park within Lumiose City. It had a peaceful atmosphere to it. Vivillon could be seen fluttering around the park, while the Flabébé were nested by the flowers. Ash and Serena were admiring the pretty scenery. It was almost night time, so there were barely any people present, besides them. The two found a tall hill and decided to sit there, next to one another.

"So..." Ash began as he turned his head to look at Serena, removing the calm silence in the air. "Did you enjoy today?"

"Oh Ash. I love everything about today!" Serena replied, giving Ash a smile. She then looked up towards the night sky to see many stars. "The sky is very pretty tonight, isn't it Ash?"

"Yeah. Really pretty. It reminds me of our adventures when we were traveling throughout Kalos, together." Ash told her. He grinned as he started thinking about everything they did together in Kalos, whether it was a gym battle, a pokémon showcase, or fending off Team Rocket. He didn't regret coming to Kalos one bit.

"Do you think... I am pretty?" Serena suddenly asked, slightly embarrassed. She didn't know what prompted her to ask that, but she knew it was probably her own insecurities and curiosity about how Ash views her. She immediately covered her face and became flustered all over. However, she soon felt hands trying to remove her own hands. She looked up to see Ash, who was slightly blushing himself. He honestly looked very cute.

"I won't know if you cover your face like that." Ash said sarcastically. That caused Serena to giggle. The two then stopped and gazed at each other's eyes. Amber meeting cerulean blue. Serena then felt Ash's hand on top of hers.

"You are prettier than all the stars in the sky, Serena..." Ash whispered.

"T-thank you, Ash." Serena replied with a blush. After a few moments of silence, Serena spoke again. "I'm sorry, Ash..." Ash looked at her with confusion on his face.

"Sorry? What for?" Ash asked her with curiosity.

"I ruined the mood at the restaurant so suddenly... I know you worked really hard to make it perfect." Serena said sadly as she stared at the ground.

"You don't need to apologize for something so trivial, Serena. The only thing that matters is that we both were having a great time." Ash said with reassurance. "Besides... being with you was all that was important to me."

Serena smiled a little. Ash could feel that she was tense about something. He could feel that because he was also tense, as he instinctively felt an object in his pocket.

A blow of cold wind flew through them, which caused Serena to shiver. Ash noticed this and proceeded to take off his jacket and covered her once again. Serena smiled up at Ash and scooted closer to him.

The two continued to look up at the night sky. The Vivillon and Flabébé were still present around the park, but were joined by a couple of Spritzee that came out of hiding. There was a lake nearby with Luvdisc swimming around. It was a very peaceful night for both people and Pokémon.

Ash continued to continuously shift his gazes from the stars to Serena. He had to admit, he was beginning to feel nervous now that the moment is approaching. He instinctively grasped the small red velvet box that was still in his pocket. Luckily, Serena didn't notice.

In Serena's mind, she was thinking about whether she should confess her feelings to Ash or not. 'I think I will make my move on him right now...'

Ash, on the other hand, was thinking similar thoughts. 'Okay, just remember what Clemont said. I got this. Just pour out all my feelings at once...'