Playing games

Zuko's POV

Well I sure feel like a jerk. I'm hosting a prom to celebrate the end of our time at school but a student just died. I should've postponed it or forgot about it all together but uncle insisted on it still going on to raise everyone's spirits, though I have a feeling nobody will enjoy themselves tonight.

I stood in the hall checking everything is ready for the prom to go ahead checking things off on my clipboard whilst muttering to myself. "Guess who!", soft hands covered my eyes, I didn't panic nor was I surprised, I simply chuckled, "that voice can only belong to my perfect boyfriend".

Sokka removed his hands from my eyes and pouted, "damn thought I would surprise you, anyway I'm here to help with anything you need me to, y'know because I'm your perfect boyfriend and all, wink wink", Sokka smirked saying wink as he actually winked, even though Yue's death has effected him a lot you wouldn't know it if you saw him. He's putting on a smile, that's okay.

"I would like you to go and get ready, I've got it from here, go ahead and walk away now so I can watch you go", I smirked slightly, he rolled his eyes and returned a smile walking away, knowing I was watching him. I hope he can take that fake smile off when he's at home, he can't hide his emotions forever.

Aang's POV

"Have you seen my nice shoes??", I pouted as I looked around frantically to find the pair of shoes Katara said would go well with my suit. "Here? No. Here? No. Here!? No!! Katara!!", I frowned as I know I've looked in every part of the house and can't find the shoes, I've lost them.

"Here they are", Katara walked in picking up my shoes that were in front of me the entire time, I huffed out hot air as she handed them to me, damn shoes playing games with me. "Deep breaths honey, don't let those big bad shoes get you down", Katara laughed lightly putting a hand on my chest and kissing my head lightly before walking to the mirror to put in her earrings.

"Hey I'm home", Sokka got in to the house and walked into the living room where Katara and I were looking at the two of us with furrowed brows, "sure that's the right dress Katara? I've seen you were better", he crossed his arms looking her up and down, not a good move.

"Oh and who made you the fashion police? Whatever I'll go change", she sighed and pushed past him going upstairs, that's the sixth dress she's put on this evening.

"You scrub up nice", Sokka looked at what I was wearing and nodded in approval, "thought you were going to be dressed in your monk robes", he sat down on one of the couches and laughed to himself.

"And that would be okay for me to do so, but I decided not to because of people like you mocking who I am", I kept a straight face not amused at what he said. Sokka's face went blank, he knew he was in the wrong, "what's with you lately?", I asked but he didn't respond. "Alright we can play the silent game, just please don't be rude tonight, we're all just trying to have fun and feel good", I shrugged.

"How am I meant to feel good when someone I care about is dead Aang? You wouldn't understand you don't know how it feels", Sokka got to his feet and raised his tone.

"Really? We're playing the you don't get it game now? You really don't think I don't know what loss is?", I looked into his eyes as I spoke, my chest began to tighten as the pain from memories came back. "I'm not saying I have it worse, but I'm telling you that I do understand, trust me I do, so stop playing around and grow up Sokka, you've already got a dad you can push away don't treat me like another", I felt my eyes begin to fill with tears, I walked past him and passed Katara on the stairs.

"Aang??", she tried to stop me but I was too fast to be held back, I got into our bedroom and closed the door leaning against it as I remembered all the pain that past loss gave me, it all came flooding back. I shouldn't have been so harsh on Sokka he didn't deserve it, but I know I understand why he's so rude now. I react the same way when losing someone I care about.

Mai's POV

I was already ready for this super boring prom, I got changed at Zuko and Iroh's place so I can go to the prom with someone and not be completely alone, though it seems like I'm going to be waiting a long time for Zuko to be finished. He's always been worse then me at getting ready.

"I'm done", he hopped out of his room whilst trying to tie his shoe laces, I watched him struggle with pleasure, it was pretty funny.

"You know you can tie your laces and not move right?", I laughed a little shaking my head walking over to him and putting my hands on my hips.

"I know I know, I just thought we were in a-", he tried to balance himself still and ended up falling forward, luckily I caught him, holding his upper arms, his face close to mine, it's been a while since we've been this close. "Hurry", he finished talking but didn't move, what was he playing at here? I'm not doing this again.

"Yeah well we are, but you'll take longer doing that", I pushed him back and brushed myself off, we dated, we were together for a really long time, I feel like he's my soulmate, maybe in a friend way now, but I know I'll forever be by his side.

"I guess you're right", he sighed kneeling down to do them up, after he finished he looked up at me still kneeling on the floor.

"What?", I raised a brow looking down at him, why is he looking at me like that? What's wrong with him? he can't look at me like that.

"It's nothing, it's just that not that long ago I thought I would be like this someday, on one knee, asking to be with you forever", he kept looking up at me, his eyes not leaving mine. Not even when we were together did he look at me like this.

"And I will be with you forever, as your best friend", I sighed helping him up, I can't bare to see him like that anymore. "But there was a time in my life where I would do anything to see you go down on one knee and to hear those sweet words, but they aren't my words to hear, not anymore Zuko", I cupped his cheek and smiled softly, I've always smiled with him, and it's a rare sight to see me smile.

"I'm sorry Mai", he held my hand to his cheek and looked at me sadly, what is he sorry for? We were toxic as hell. "I'll be your forever best friend too", he chuckled lightly.

"Okay, now let's stop all this soppiness and get to that prom, I need a drink", I shook my head quickly fixing his tie because he always makes it look messy and it irritates me beyond belief.

"There's no alcohol there I'm afraid", Zuko stood still and let me fix his tie then linked arms with me as we began to walk out.

"Why do you think I brought a bag with me?", I shook my head. I thought this boy would know me by now.

My forever best friend.