Healing Hands (P1)

As Tommy walked back to the tree house, he couldn't help but feel Toby's pain. Poor kid had come all this way to find him, but instead found someone who didn't even remember where he came from.

Up in the tree house, Toby plunked down his heavy bag with relief, weariness clear in his movements.

"Long day?" Ran asked.

"Lots of walking."

Boo and Niki went out to get the others to meet Toby, and so Phil could decide what to do. George and Dream didn't show up, probably keeping an eye on Sapnap.

"This place is pretty cool," the brunet remarked once Technoblade, Phil, and Wilbur had arrived. They were caught up to speed on the situation, and Phil sat beside Toby in what he hoped was a comforting way.

"I'm not gonna dance around the question Toby, why'd you leave home? Aren't there people that are going to miss you?"

Toby twiddled his thumbs, "I was looking for Tommy."

"And?" That couldn't be the only reason this child ran away from home.

"I'm mutated, they were going to find out soon enough. They don't like mutated back home." The boy looked at Tommy, "They... They don't want us around."

"What about parents? Friends?"

"I got a dad, but he wouldn't care. Probably doesn't even know I'm gone."

Wilbur perked up, "I had a friend called Jschlatt a while back, said he was adopting a kid called Toby. He has brown hair like you too actually."

"Wha- Jschlatt is my dad. I'm adopted???" Toby's eyes went wide, and he ran a shaky hand through his hair disturbing the bees on his shoulder.

"Shoot, sorry."

The child seemed out of breath. "This is the strangest day of my life, and not necessarily in a good way might I add."

Wilbur smiled softly to himself. "What a small world..." Then the smile fell. "But Schlatt was a nice guy, I'm sure he'd miss you Toby."

The boy looked downcast and didn't answer immediately. When he did his voice was small, and somewhat afraid, "The only thing he cares about now is alcohol."

"...How bad is it?" Wilbur's breath caught in his chest, and already he felt a burning in his throat.

"He- sometimes he doesn't even recognise me." Phil's heart broke for the child who'd had to see this at such a young age. Mentally, he was already signing adoption papers.

"Oh." The ghost boy furrowed his brows, and when he spoke again his voice was hoarse like he'd been crying for hours. "Excuse me, I think I'm going to step outside." Wilbur couldn't keep doing this, couldn't keep losing people. It was a small loss, he knew, but still. With quick steps that barley made a noise on the wooden floor, Wilbur float/walked out of the room without another word.

With Wilbur gone, Technoblade decided to try conversation, "So, your mutation? Has it got something to do with these bees everywhere?"

Toby sighed happily, glad to have an escape from the previous conversation topic, "No, but they like me because of my mutation." He squinted and scanned the room, finding a sad little plant pot in the corner. With the bees trailing behind him, Toby walked over to the plant. "Watch."

So slow Techno thought he might be imaging it, the little fern that had been given up on for weeks slowly regained it's colour and perk. A small flower blossomed on the stem which one of the bees happily sat on.

Toby puffed and flopped back onto a chair, "That plant was... Really dead. How long had it been like thaf?"

"Uh... A while."

"Please water it."
_______________________________________

Everyone spoke for a bit longer and Toby got more comfortable at the tree house. While he was mutated himself, even talking to a mutated was considered a crime back home and he'd come here a little uneasy. Tommy, however, felt more uncomfortable every minute. Why couldn't he just remember things? Why did he want to hang out with this kid? Why did he feel... jealous maybe - that Toby was having more fun talking to the others?

Suddenly, he had a great Idea. "Hey Toby, can I show you something?"

"Yeah, sure!" He might have imagined it, but Tommy thought Toby perked up considerably at Tommy's suggestion.

Almost forgetting to cool his hand, Tommy grabbed Toby's arm and ran outside. "Woah hey slow down-" the brunet laughed. It reminded him of old times, when he and Tommy would go racing round town together.
_______________________________________

George nearly jumped out of his skin when Tommy and another child zipped past the doorway to the Dream Team's room.

"Who was that?" Dream asked. George didn't know, but he assumed the others did and he made a note to ask about it later. So George just shrugged, then asked, "Is Nick doing any better?"

Even though he knew the answer, Dream looked over his shoulder to the sleeping form of his other best friend. The cover was pulled tight around him yet beads of sweat were rolling down his forehead.

"No." Dream shuffled a bit and crossed his arms, "George what if-"

"He's going to be fine Dream. There's no 'what ifs'" George didn't look at his friend, closed off to other suggestions.

Dream frowned, but made no comment. He slipped on his blindfold and said, "I'm going to go ask about that new kid. You coming?"

"You go on, I'll come later."
_______________________________________

Any opinions on the story so far? Quarantine is leaving me craving social interaction pog. And apologies for the short chapter I didn't know how to split it for the next part.

Also, 30 story parts (including notes) woo! This is my longest story so far, and I'm super proud. Thank you to everyone who's been reading, and double thanks to those who have been showing your support by voting or even just leaving a comment.

Sincerely, the sassiest bee in the entire world