Report #1

Somewhere not so far away from our protagonists:

"Sir? Sir!" The captain ran down the halls, ignoring her usual need for professionalism. She burst into the next room, practically slamming the door open, to find her boss head down on the table.

He jerked awake at the shouting, "Huh? Oh, hello captain."

"Were you.. Were you asleep sir?"

"What! Of course not." His face flushed with red, and he adjusted his glasses nervously.

The captain smiled. "If you say so~" she teased, taking advantage of their friendly relationship. This captain was probably the only one who would have the gall to speak to the king in such a way.

"So um.. What did you need captain?"

The captain dropped her smile in favour of a stern expression to say, "There are reports of a hostile human group attacking a mutated settlement yesterday."

"Oh my." He paled. "Do we know the outcome of the conflict?"

"No sir, but we've sent someone to have a look."

"Good idea captain. Keep me updated please."

"Of course sir, have a good afternoon." The captain tipped her hat toward the king in respect before leaving the room considerably politer than she entered.

The king smiled fondly, "You too captain."

A human attack? That could be a real threat if they decided to look over here. The king had a city full of mutated to protect, not to mention the struggles they were getting from other towns already. It felt wrong, but sometimes the King really envied his citizens. He knew many people would kill for this position, but it wasn't really all it's cracked up to be.
_______________________________________

What a short and mysterious chapter! I wonder who these two folks could be?

Since it was pretty short ya'll are getting a chapter two days in a row. But don't expect it so often anymore I'm afraid.

Sincerely, an augmented table