Unwilling Fighter

A week later, the sun was still hiding behind its cloak of clouds, but thankfully the rain was not enough to soak each traveller to their bones. Winter was beginning to ease its grip on the land, leaving a little room for spring to break through.

Unfortunately, the aformentioned cloak of clouds did not only hide the sun, but provided enough cover to allow mobs to spawn. This is why the group was currently engaged in battle with a hoard of zombies and a handful of skeletons.

"Hey Sapnap," George called after cutting down a zombie, "remember when we couldn't even fight two of these things?"

"Yeah man," Sapnap laughed, "that seems like another lifetime ago!"

Niki smiled fondly at the two's remenicing, gracefully stabbing a zombie that was attempting to behead Ranboo.

"Thanks Niki" Ranboo said when the zombie fell dead (well, twice dead) at his feet.

"Don't mention it." She winked then turned around and saw a zombie fall at her feet at the hands of someone she thought she'd never see again.

"Fundy!" Niki cried, "You're alive!" she ran up to the fox mutated and wrapped him in a hug. "How did you even get all the way here?"

The others slowly formed a sort of semi circle behind the two, having killed most of the mobs now.

Fundy adjusted his cap, tail swishing nervously. "Well, I got a bit lost. Quackity and I just sort of set off-"

Niki pulled back from the hug and wore a confused smile, "Fundy... Quality died during the raid."

The fox froze, and his cheery expression fell for a quick moment before returning. "I uh. I must've seen him before he died. It was a pretty stressful day after all; you can't expect me to remember everything correctly." he chuckled.

Now suspicious, Niki took a full step away from Fundy.

Ranboo spoke up, "It's a bit strange, don't you think, that your 'wandering around' led you right to us?"

Tail low and flickering in annoyance, Fundy turned to the half-enderman and with strained politeness he said, "Chill out Ranboo, it's just a happy coincidence-"

"I never told you my name."

"What?"

"How do you know my name, Fundy? If it even is you really." Ranboo narrowed his eyes at the other, and hunched his shoulders slightly.

Dream raised his sword, and told Niki to get away from Fundy. She tried to, but in that moment the fox's arm lashed out and grabbed her, his sharp claws threatening to pierce her skin. He growled, and instantly Sapnap trained his bow on Fundy, and the others raised their weapons towards him too.

"Now now everyone, we wouldn't want dear Fundy to do anything rash would we?"

From the trees emerged a hooded figure with glowing white eyes. His mouth was twisted in a cruel smile, reminiscent of a cat that knew its prey was cornered.

Halo had found them. For real this time.

"Hello everyone! It's lovely to see you again. Especially you Ranboo, you've been such a great help."

"What?" Ranboo exclaimed.

Sapnap glared at Halo, "Don't worry Ranboo, he's just trying to get under your skin. We know you'd never help this guy."

"Okay but... I don't even know who he is?"

"What! You mean no one told you and Niki about me?" Halo, turned to the Dream team disapprovingly, "You muffinheads, I thought you liked me more than that." the he pouted mockingly.

Dream laughed, "'like you'? You tried to kill us!"

"Ah yes, that's the very reason I'm here isn't it? To fulfil my promise. Now, how about you five just let me kill you and we can make this a lot easier?"

"No Halo." Said George, "Just leave us alone okay? Don't be a- a muffinhead."

"It's fine, we're fighting five to two anyway. We can take em'" Ranboo said defiantly.

Halo laughed, disturbing everyone to their core. "You're right Ranboo. Maybe we should... Even the odds a bit?"

And to everyone's horror, the half-enderman blinked confusedly and slowly, Ranboo turned to face his friends. His face contorted into a glare as he held his sword towards them.

Niki's breath caught."Ranboo?"

"Sorry Niki. Ranboo can't come to the phone right now." Halo said with a sick inly sweet smile, "He's too busy helping me kill you."

And with that Fundy, Ranboo, and Halo attacked.
_______________________________________

(flashback)

Halo was very happy when he'd learned about the newest aspect of his mutation. He was tempted to call it 'mind control' or something of the like, but that - in all honesty - sounded  quite cringe.

The demon-esque mutated hadn't been lying when he said that Ranboo had been a great help, but he may have missed out the part that Ranboo wasn't quite a willing helper. How lucky Halo had been that day, when the poor half-enderman had the bad luck to spot Halo in the forest from the view of the tree house.

The original plan had been to just kill the muffin and be done with it, but Halo found a better way. Something much more useful.

Then the raid came and Halo found yet another unwilling soul that could help him. Dear Fundy had gotten himself lost, or maybe he'd just run away like a coward. Halo never bothered to ask.

Halo wanted to kill George, Dream, and Sapnap that same day after the raid; confident that with Ranboo and Fundy's help he could do it. But they'd already left, taking Niki and the oh so helpful Ranboo along with them.

So Halo and Fundy searched,  hoping that the Dream team were still on their way to Last Hope.

What luck that they were, and that the rain had slowed them down so much that Halo and Fundy could catch up to them.
_______________________________________

(back to the fight)

Niki managed to rip her arm away from Fundy as he rose his other arm to swipe her, but he quickly circled round to attack again. The fox wielded no weapons, unless you count the claws and teeth, so Niki had the disadvantage of not being able to fully utilise her mutation.

Ranboo, now under Halo's control, went straight for the person closest to him who happened to be the green-clad mask-wearing mutated.

Dream, while he'd have killed the other two mutated if he had too, was much more conflicted about fighting Ranboo. They were friends. But was this still the Ranboo he knew? What if they couldn't get him back?

Finally, Sapnap and George were once again fighting their former best friend Halo. Luckily this time they was stronger and prepared, but even Dream struggled to beat the demon-like mutated! For some reason, neither of them had been killed just yet... Was Halo going easy on them, or was it something else?

What if, Sapnap dared to hope, the real Halo was still in there?
_______________________________________

Uh oh mind control. Reminds me of a certain... bad egg, you could say?
(ah, I'm not going to actually put the egg in this book, it's just a reference.)

Sorry if there's a bit much happening in this chapter. After a while I was just really wanting to put a chapter up at all so here it is.

Sincerely, a pro-omlete supporter